Route from San Diego to San Francisco

bun lovin' criminal

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm renting a Road King next month in San Diego, and we have four days to get to San Francisco.

Anybody got any route recommendations (the more scenic the better) and/or places to see?

Thanks in advance

Andy

PCH seems to be the obvious choice.

We'll certainly use that for some of the northern section, but I read somewhere (might have been on here) that the coast road out of San Diego is rubbish and it's better to go inland?

The Los Angeles Crest Highway is absolutely brilliant - one of the best roads I've ever ridden and it was deserted on a Wednesday afternoon last year when we rode it (although it can be very busy on a weekend). It circumnavigates east LA between Hollywood and San Bernadino :cool:

The Big Sur section of the Pacific Coast Highway south of Carmel (about 60-70 miles) was spectacular, although the coast all the way from Morro Bay to Carmel is well worth riding.

The alternative is to cut inland from LA. We absolutely loved Death Valley (we stopped in Furnace Creek resort which was very nice) and the road from Stovepipe Wells to Lone Pine was brilliant. The Tioga Pass is simply stunning and it drops you into Yosemite. Don't stop in Yosemite though as it's a rip-off - there's a very nice motel in Buck Meadows :thumby:

You can easily do San Diego to San Francisco in a day, but that's not what you asked. When I rode it in 2006 I hugged the coastal road but on the southern outskirts of LA, missed the 'ring road' and ended up riding through the most congested of cities with the temps up in the 100s.

Swing out to Barstow and Ridgecrest and head for Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley. 118F when I was there. Book into the only motel and have a terrific meal in the restaurant. We didn't find Yosemite too bad at all, especially in the tented Curry Village where we slept the best we'd had for ages. I don't think you should miss Yosemite.

You can easily do San Diego to San Francisco in a day, but that's not what you asked. When I rode it in 2006 I hugged the coastal road but on the southern outskirts of LA, missed the 'ring road' and ended up riding through the most congested of cities with the temps up in the 100s.

Swing out to Barstow and Ridgecrest and head for Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley. 118F when I was there. Book into the only motel and have a terrific meal in the restaurant. We didn't find Yosemite too bad at all, especially in the tented Curry Village where we slept the best we'd had for ages. I don't think you should miss Yosemite.

I'm not saying miss Yosemite, just don't stop in Yosemite Village. It's like a dump of a Haven Holiday Park for £175/night :mad:

Furnace Creek the night before, on the other hand, was Lovely. Really nice wood cabins, a great restaurant and reasonably priced bar despite the captive audience :thumb2 It's also close to Badwater Basin, the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere and the spectacular Dante's View

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305523

If you do Death Valley, make sure you do Dantes Peak :thumb2

Having ridden from LA to San Diego, I can confirm the roads near SD aren't great.

4 days, maybe think about going out Palm Springs way. Joshua Tree national park, San Andreas fault etc. Yosemite itself is great. Lone Pine on the other side quaint, quiet & you can get a bison burger (they used to film all the westerns in the surrounding hills)

Don't try and cram too much in, you need to stop and really appreciate some of the views/vistas. Makes you realise just how big the place is.

Thanks for all the replies so far :beerjug:
We're going to Yosemite a bit later on in the holiday after we've dropped the bike off (we've got relatives near Sacramento so we're going with them).

You can easily do San Diego to San Francisco in a day, but that's not what you asked.

Really? Good luck with that one and I think you meant LA. LA is a giant sized shit hole and best avoided at all costs. Here is my recommendation.

Up the coast coast to south of LA and then blast around the hell hole and get on the Los Angeles Crest as Sven says. At Ojai, take the 33 north and it's a lovely ride and then you can either head inland or go out to the coast. I don't much like the ride up the coast here because you are a bit inland and it's not very scenic.

At Santa Cruz, head inland through the Redwood's and onto Skyline and stop at Alices for a burger and coffee. head north then to SF and go over the Golden Gate bridge. If you have time, spend a day riding the 101 north of the GG in Marin as it's a much more scenic ride and the roads are really good.

Alternatively do as Jon suggested and avoid the coast altogether as the roads inland are much better for riding:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom