Cambodia Dirt Bike Tour Question

Red Leader

Reaction score
Hi all, first post on this forum, so bear with me. I want to ask a general question to all you GS adventure bikers out there. Well 3 actually. And I hope you all answer as honestly as possible. We'd love to know how up for a challenge you GS riders really are!

1. Do any of you regularly read Adventure Bike Rider magazine? If NO, have you ever heard of it?

2. I know you all love organising your own tours on your own bikes for non long-haul destinations BUT would you ever consider an organised dirt bike tour further afield (long-haul) on a bike that isn't a GS? (Don't scream obscenities at me please!).

3. What's the best trip you ever rode on based on the friendliness of the people/cultures you encountered?

Looking forward to your answers gents (and ladies). Please answer all 3 in your posts, not just 1 or 2.

Arcun cheran! (Thank-you, very much).

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer Timolgra. 1st Question should have read: Adventure Bike Rider (ABR), still not heard of it?

Fairly new magazine. Its on its 16th edition at the moment. Think its a once every 2 or 3 months magazine.

Really interested in getting as many answers to my 3 questions though.

Do you think I've posted it in the best topic?

Thanks dubster.

When did you do Laos? Awesome place. Cambodia is amazing too. The people, culture and terrain are really second to none in my opinion. But I am a bit biased!

No worries. I lived in Northern Thailand for six years so went to Laos often. Done quite a few trips into Cambodia too - have to agree with you that it's amazing. I remember walking around Angkor at 5am on my first visit feeling like I was tripping for the first time. Thought the street food was shite though, compared to the rest of the region. Phnom Penh is a fucking hole. Hopefully you're outside the capital?

Hi all, first post on this forum, so bear with me. I want to ask a general question to all you GS adventure bikers out there. Well 3 actually. And I hope you all answer as honestly as possible. We'd love to know how up for a challenge you GS riders really are!

1. Do any of you regularly read Adventure Bike Rider magazine? If NO, have you ever heard of it?

2. I know you all love organising your own tours on your own bikes for non long-haul destinations BUT would you ever consider an organised dirt bike tour further afield (long-haul) on a bike that isn't a GS? (Don't scream obscenities at me please!).

3. What's the best trip you ever rode on based on the friendliness of the people/cultures you encountered?

Looking forward to your answers gents (and ladies). Please answer all 3 in your posts, not just 1 or 2.

no
no
northern thailand on a 250 or maybe lombok on a 125

Are you paying us for your market research?:D

No worries. I lived in Northern Thailand for six years so went to Laos often. Done quite a few trips into Cambodia too - have to agree with you that it's amazing. I remember walking around Angkor at 5am on my first visit feeling like I was tripping for the first time. Thought the street food was shite though, compared to the rest of the region. Phnom Penh is a fucking hole. Hopefully you're outside the capital?

Ha Ha. I know what you mean. The street food was historically for the impoverished people of Cambodia, and trust me, their stomachs are much more resilient than us Westerners. Street food has improved though, as peoples incomes have slowly risen. Best food is had in people's homes, as they tend not to want to make themselves ill!

How long have you been back? Just ask as the progress Cambodia has made in the past 5 years alone is astonishing for a country that has suffered so much.

Angkor, yes, totally awesome at sunrise. Largest religious monument on the planet! Well trippy.

We start in Pnhom Penh for acclimatisation, and the river front there has improved loads. But then straight out into the dirt ASAP. End in Siem Reap.

Thanks for your info, and I'm glad to have found another human being that has had the fortune to meet the incredibly humble Cambodian people!

XR250s all the way out there!

no
no
northern thailand on a 250 or maybe lombok on a 125

Are you paying us for your market research?:D

Thanks for your answer richie.

To be honest I was hoping just to generate some great discussions about how the people and cultures you meet on a tour are what really make the journey so incredible!

I personally love dirt bikes (I ride an XR400), and I love Cambodia... the sense of freedom when riding out there is unparalleled for me... and as for the people... the third Cambodian I met is now my wife!

I could offer you a baht per answer? What do you think?

Yes
Yes
Have YET to ride outside the UK

Thanks S660Z. You've gotta get out of blighty whenever you can! Not that there is anything wrong with the UK (except maybe the weather)!

Have you done many off road miles? Wales has loads of byways eh?

Last edited:
Started on dirt when I was a kid, but only recently discovered adventure bikes after years of sports bikes.

Rekindled the desire to fall off on softer stuff than Tarmac lol.

Got plans with my mate FatMatt to leave these shores behind occasionally now the kids r getting a little older :)

Great to hear it. I am a dirt bike photographer myself. Always loved the idea of off road/enduro. Started doing it last year (held a full UK licence for 20 years). Then did it Cambodia. Now I want to share the experience with as many as I can. Its my mission!

Oh, and falling off is part of the fun for me (or at least that's what I keep telling myself!).

Last edited:
Question for all you Adventurous GSers!

Come on folks. Don't be shy. Lets hear them!

Succinct dubster. I didn't know which forum/topic to put it in. basically wanted responses from guys that have/would like to tour. Also I hadn't subscribed earlier today but have since.

Is it possible to move topics to another board? If so which one would you recommend? I guess its open invite kind've but it ain't free. And I don't want to advertise on here as that's not my aim.

I'm hoping to get a liitle bit of an insight into your attitudes here on the UKGSer forum.

Have already PM a couple of great guys!

Any advice dubster?

I'm fairly new here myself but I've been here long enough to know that someone will be around soon to assist...

:hack:rocketwho

Seriously though, sounds like a cracking plan and good luck with it :thumb

Thanks dubster. The trip is all in place and set to happen in December.

Just need loads more answers to my original post now, to see if any UKGSers have what it takes to complete the Cambodges Tour!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom