Ireland Tour

The Heff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, just looking for some pointers

I'm hoping to do a lap of Ireland sometime soon, starting in Banbridge up the Coast Road, across into Donegal then hug the west coast as much as possible.

I'm giving myself 7 days so should have loads of time for exploring. I will be camping unless really poor weather

Where else should I go/do when I'm there

Thanks in advance

Heff:thumby:

Hi Heff

Over the past few years, I have ridden a lot of miles in the West and South West. Here are a few highlights of those trips I'd recommend

First up for an overnight stay is this years Sligo point in the Irish photo rally - The Beach Bar. Its a hidden gem of a spot, Food and drink is excellent and cheap enough and the Atlantic Ocean is 50 Yards from the front door. Plenty of space to pitch a tent and I think its only a tenner a night.

Link to website - http://www.thebeachbarsligo.com/index.html

After a night here, I'd head west on the N59, Take in a lap of Achill Island, head back for Westport and once here take the R335 and follow till you rejoin the N59. Follow this road west to Clifden and loop around to Maam cross and hang a right onto the R336. This will bring you into Galway via Spiddal. This is a good campsite in Salthill. - http://www.salthillcaravanpark.com/about-us/

From here it has to be on to Co. Clare and a lap of The Burren with a stop off at Father Teds House. The Coordinates are N53.00994 W009.02990 :thumb

I've never camped anywhere else along the west or south west so I can't give you any pointers but there is a campsite near Kilrush I've heard lads I go on spins with talk about.

Following on from Co Clare a quick float across the Shannon via the Tarbert/Killimer ferry will save a lot of driving and land you right into Co Kerry. If you can, spend 2 or 3 days doing Cork and Kerry and try and include The Conor Pass, The Gap of Dunloe, The ring of Kerry (the big one!!), The Healy Pass from S to N preferably) a trip around the Beara Peninsula (good campsite in Allihies apparently)

For the South Id look at a stop over in either Youghal or Dungarvan and for the east on your last night have a look at here -http://www.irelandholidaypark.com/. After your night here, I'd strongly recommend heading to Laragh and a spin across the Wicklow Gap from Glendalough to Holywood. From here turn right onto the N81 and follow it till you reach the M50. From here its less than 90 mins back to Banbridge.

Dave:thumby::thumby:

Can't help a lot but live near Banbridge myself. I go to this place in Donegal most summers. Nice place nice people. May be just beyond a first night stop though.

You could easily just do the Photo Rally in your week Heff and be guaranteed lots of great roads and interesting places to visit. All the details are in the sticky at the top of the Ireland section. Plot a route that suits you and away you go.

You could easily just do the Photo Rally in your week Heff and be guaranteed lots of great roads and interesting places to visit. All the details are in the sticky at the top of the Ireland section. Plot a route that suits you and away you go.

+1 on that. :thumb2:thumb2

I've found some of the best roads in Ireland since I started doing this in Feb last year. Its an excellent way to explore the island if you are not 100% set on circumnavigating the coast.

Either way, You'll have a ball :thumby:

There's a gang of us heading up from Dublin, via the Roscommon, Galway, and Mayo photo points (in that order) for an overnighter in The Beach Bar in Sligo on Sat 13th July. If this suits your schedule, you are more than welcome to join us.
Once the heads are clear and the solpadine kicks in, we are doing the Donegal, Leitrim, Fermanagh and Cavan ones on the way home. Approx 550 miles in the 2 days - Easy Peasy :D

Trip

Hi Heff

Over the past few years, I have ridden a lot of miles in the West and South West. Here are a few highlights of those trips I'd recommend

First up for an overnight stay is this years Sligo point in the Irish photo rally - The Beach Bar. Its a hidden gem of a spot, Food and drink is excellent and cheap enough and the Atlantic Ocean is 50 Yards from the front door. Plenty of space to pitch a tent and I think its only a tenner a night.

Link to website - http://www.thebeachbarsligo.com/index.html

After a night here, I'd head west on the N59, Take in a lap of Achill Island, head back for Westport and once here take the R335 and follow till you rejoin the N59. Follow this road west to Clifden and loop around to Maam cross and hang a right onto the R336. This will bring you into Galway via Spiddal. This is a good campsite in Salthill. - http://www.salthillcaravanpark.com/about-us/

From here it has to be on to Co. Clare and a lap of The Burren with a stop off at Father Teds House. The Coordinates are N53.00994 W009.02990 :thumb

I've never camped anywhere else along the west or south west so I can't give you any pointers but there is a campsite near Kilrush I've heard lads I go on spins with talk about.

Following on from Co Clare a quick float across the Shannon via the Tarbert/Killimer ferry will save a lot of driving and land you right into Co Kerry. If you can, spend 2 or 3 days doing Cork and Kerry and try and include The Conor Pass, The Gap of Dunloe, The ring of Kerry (the big one!!), The Healy Pass from S to N preferably) a trip around the Beara Peninsula (good campsite in Allihies apparently)

For the South Id look at a stop over in either Youghal or Dungarvan and for the east on your last night have a look at here -http://www.irelandholidaypark.com/. After your night here, I'd strongly recommend heading to Laragh and a spin across the Wicklow Gap from Glendalough to Holywood. From here turn right onto the N81 and follow it till you reach the M50. From here its less than 90 mins back to Banbridge.

Dave:thumby::thumby:

Excellent.

Just long the lines of what I was looking. Thanks:augie

Trip

+1 on that. :thumb2:thumb2

I've found some of the best roads in Ireland since I started doing this in Feb last year. Its an excellent way to explore the island if you are not 100% set on circumnavigating the coast.

Either way, You'll have a ball :thumby:

There's a gang of us heading up from Dublin, via the Roscommon, Galway, and Mayo photo points (in that order) for an overnighter in The Beach Bar in Sligo on Sat 13th July. If this suits your schedule, you are more than welcome to join us.
Once the heads are clear and the solpadine kicks in, we are doing the Donegal, Leitrim, Fermanagh and Cavan ones on the way home. Approx 550 miles in the 2 days - Easy Peasy :D

Thanks for the offer Dave, but I am planning for around the middle of August:thumby:

Trip

Cheers Aidan

I never thought about the photo rally as I've never done one.

Worth considering now that I have had a look at the link on the sticky:thumby:

Hi all, just looking for some pointers

I'm hoping to do a lap of Ireland sometime soon, starting in Banbridge up the Coast Road, across into Donegal then hug the west coast as much as possible.

Heff:thumby:

Much depends on how far south you want to get in your 7 days and how much you want to 'hug' the coastline. Personally I don't mind taking a long time to not get very far when the exploring and the roads, craic & guinness are all good.
If you're gonna land in Donegal it's worth getting there by taking 15 minute ferry across from Magilligan to Greencastle, now you're in Inis Eoghain and ride the inis eoghain 100 coastal route anti clockwise to Buncrana - about 2 hrs ride excluding stops. En route Kinnegoe bay & Mamore Gap / Leenan bay are great roads, stops / scenery.
Ttake 25 min ferry from Buncrana to Rathmullan then you are on to the Fanad penisula, again go anti clockwise towards fanad Head then this leads you onto the Atlantic Drive/Rossguill taking you towards west Donegal. Do-able in a day if you feel the need.

A few weeks back I did a trip - blast to Westport then onto Lewisburg for 2 days exploring the coastal & hilly routes to Leenan (Film - The Field), then Cong (Film - The Quiet Man), some time round the Mamturks & Connemara. Not great miles done but great roads, places, people, food & guinness encountered.

Enjoy your trip.

Back
Top Bottom