Border from Greece into Turkey at Ipsala. June 2013.

Kazakdan

Reaction score
June 2013
UK Passport holder. No carnet or green card held. UK reg bike. V5 in my name.

Essentially the process is easy but can be time consuming. I spent longer than necessary. It should be doable in 30 minutes, even with a small amount of queuing but I wasted time not knowing what to do where, so I wanted to write this to help fellow bike travellers.

1. Arrive at the first line of huts. Don’t wait in the line of vehicles, skip the queue and park up on the left.
2. Get a visa from the right-most hut in the first line of booths. Look for the red sign with white writing with lots of words for VISA. No forms needed, hand in passport and 15 euros. You get a pretty sticker.
3. Take passport with pretty sticker to the booth at the front of the queue of cars. Get a police stamp on the visa.
4. Next, get insurance. Walk to the centre of the this covered area to a desk with a printer. Buy insurance for a motorcycle. Engine size doesn’t matter. Pay 25 Euros and get a green printed insurance certificate.
5. Now ride your bike down the left lane (no entry sign blocks cars but bikes go through) to the second line of huts. Hand passport and insurance docs. They enter data from passport and V5 doc and might want to get a visual on the bike.
6. Then you will be asked to see baggage control who may or may not bother with opening your panniers. Then baggage control man gets your passport stamped again.
7. Now proceed to the final, separate control booths. Show the passport and docs. They do whatever they do and then you are through. Welcome to Turkey.

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF6560.JPG
    Copy of DSCF6560.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 197
Thanks for posting, I hope to use the info sometime sooner rather than later :thumb

Back
Top Bottom