Trailer - what to get

Jon P

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Help please - I require a trailer as I move around a lot with work and need to take more than just the bike with me!

What trailer should I get to move a GS (250kg)? Are the Dave Cooper or Erde trailers up to the job? They seem to be quite well priced.

Thanks for any advice.

If its a quality multi use trailer you want look no further than ifor Williams. Quality kit and strongest resale values.

Great quality I know - but a bit big and too pricey for me.

Pricey yes, size wise I'm sure they do a loading ramp one that is just long enough for a GS and would leave space for other equipment either side.

Any hoo good luck.

Pheonix trailers for me. Multi purpose. Can be used to transport bikes, the folding ramp makes loading and unloading a doddle. I also use it to collect logs, take garden waste away, etc. The steel mesh side can be easily removed. Cargo can also be hidden out of sight with the large tarpaulin cover. The twin axles mean that towing at any speed is also stress free.

In answer to the OPs question, I have a Dave Cooper trailer and its fine for my GS.

Andres

Can I ask what Dave Cooper trailer you have?

I have been emailing them this evening and they have suggested one of their folding trailers that they can build rated to 250kg. About 420 shipped.

I have been emailing them this evening and they have suggested one of their folding trailers that they can build rated to 250kg. About 420 shipped.

It's a single bike trailer (standard light weighr)I bought second hand many moons ago.
Just noticed its max weight looking it up for you on their web site; 150kg - oooops! Well, whatever, it's been fine towing my 240kg 1200 around, some of it long distance too.......based on that though I don't suppose I should be recommending it :D

Andres

I have an Erde 450kg 2 bike trailer, which serves me well carrying either 1 big bike or 2 crossers / light enduros....got its for around 200 pounds off ebay.

I have the Dave Cooper 1 or 2-bike trailer. I have modified it with larger wheels (10" with 5x10 6-ply tyres), a longer ramp, rear tie-down fittings and some lighting board fittings. The larger tyres are rated at 375 kilos. I hated the little 8 inch wheels with 4-ply tyres it came with.

DSC_6993_zps72222b06.jpg

DSC_6994_zps4b9580d7.jpg

I would have no hesitation in putting my 1150 GSA on it and it would probably take two :augie.

(And before anyone comments . . No, the Horse Trailers don't get hitched to the Ford Focus - I have a Toyota Land Cruiser for them :D).

Bob.

Thanks for all the replies. Dave Cooper are appealing because they are inexpensive. I did ask them about fitting 10" wheels and he said that the 8" with a 6ply tyre is well specified and that 10" make the trailer too high.....?

Keep an eye on Ebay.

Trailers are one of those items that won't get posted, and travelling to get one puts a lot of peopple off.

So all you do is look at what it is, google it, ask questions of the seller and be prepared to do a bit of very basic woodwork/welding to make one good.....you can pick up some right bargains :thumb2

Also ask any farmers, or any mates who have farmer friends.

Another underrated trailer type are the horseboxes.....designed to take at least 2 horses which are usually three quarters of a tonne or more each.....solid floors, drop down doors so they are good for loading bikes, top notch hardware etc.

Horsey people are usually utter wankers, riding un-insured skittery one tonne animals on the public highway with scant regard for the danger they cause anyone else, but they do buy decent shit for their mobile shit factories :thumb

I bought a Trelango off this site, excellent bit of kit, still available under the name Trelgo (I think around £450 mark) single at the moment but can add an extra rail or board etc. Very pleased with mine.

I have a Daxara 127 trailer. Its a box type but the box is easily removable and a wheel trough could bolted/strapped on. The 400kg load capacity is more than enough for a GS and they are cheap enough on eBay. Overall more useful than a bike trailer.

Back
Top Bottom