My Ural

ianboydsnr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
That I picked up from AndyT

Well I picked up my Ural about a month ago, It were not quite in the condition I was expecting, it ran pretty well considering, but paintwork on the chair was dull and there were a couple of holes in the floor, the chrome was breaking through the rust in places, so I stripped it down, polished all the chrome, and cleaned all the alloy

then cut the rough bits out of the floor,

then welded new metal in,

I roller painted the chair using rustoleum,

The seat mount was cracked at the welds, but I disliked the look of the original, as there was a car battery in the chair, I junked the bike battery and made a seat mount,

Though the tyres had plenty of tread, cracks were appearing in the sidewall, so I replaced them, as well as replacing the tubes,

I made a givi mount out in stainless, to replace the rear seat,

pretty much back together, there was a issue with the lights, cleaning the ignition switch contacts sorted that, I replaced the horn as well as the old one didn't work, wired in an accessory socket on the bike and in the chair, and replaced the cables from the battery,
I completely stripped both carbs and cleaned them, but found that slackening off all the throttle cables, the bike was still revving to high at tickover and was not resting against the idle screws, clearly the cables were to long and had been for the past 10 years, so I shortened the cable mount, and now it ticks over at the correct speed,

Nearly finished,

Well done mate..looks well. :thumb

If you get misfiring in the wet,popping and banging on one cylinder,look for rainwater being directed from the bottom of your legshields into the booting of your HT caps (took me ages to suss that one,even with waterproof NGK caps)...also if the leads are long enough,try to rotate them so the cable access is rearwards rather than forwards.

Keep tabs on that hand grenade,too. :augie

Sounds like it was just like new then:hide

Anyway i'm surprised you could do all that considering you have to work in that tiny old council garage:augie

Well done mate..looks well. :thumb

If you get misfiring in the wet,popping and banging on one cylinder,look for rainwater being directed from the bottom of your legshields into the booting of your HT caps (took me ages to suss that one,even with waterproof NGK caps)...also if the leads are long enough,try to rotate them so the cable access is rearwards rather than forwards.

Keep tabs on that hand grenade,too. :augie

Never thought about that, thanks

The hand grenade is a worry, but the replacement is out of my price range, so it's either junk it and run dead loss, or convert the hand grenade case into a pulley and run a belt and car alternator, it does rattle a bit when it's running, but I am resisting the urge to adjust it!

The hand grenade is a worry, but the replacement is out of my price range,

The L424 and solid state regulator I`ve got on my 650 was under half the price of the NipponDenso that people try to steer you into buying.

Back
Top Bottom