Darien Gap & East side of South America

Stub deToe

I am looking at plans to ride the west coast of North and South America, but am looking for tips on dealing with Panama. The Pan-Am highway is still a tepid swamp down there so one is faced with flying the bike between Panama and Columbia or loading it on a ship.

Any experiences out there? Best/most cost-effective method. What is the best/safest point to land in Columbia, or just sail past Columbia altogether given the rebel situation in the south?

Lastly, scant info is out there on returning north from Tierra del Fuego on the east coast. Can South America be circumnavigated? Especially across the Amazon delta, and what about the north side. Any web links of hints would be appreciated. I'm looking at doing this in November '05 or '06. I am riding the Inuvik, NWT this summer then complete the ride in the winter to coincide with the southern summer.

Interested in coming along, drop me a line and we can talk. I'm on an '02 GS. 35 year BMW-riding experience.

Bill:beerjug:

I'll watch this one with interest.The Darien gap,not many people have heard of it,and even fewer have ridden it.
Have a go at Helge Peddersons site,he's one of the few that has done it with a motorbike,and I think you can do it as a group walk!
Only a thought, good luck

Stub: The best spource of information is at:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/index.shtml

Yes, is posible to circunnavigate south america, in fact is not particulary difficult. regarding the Darien Gap, I'm afraid you'll have to fly across. Unless you want to carry the bike across...which is waht the few who have done it did...

On the west side the Carretera Panamericana is quite good all the way from Alaska, on the east side is similar from patagonia (carretera austral) to Uruguay, Brasil, Venezuela.

Or, you can cut across the Amazonas...I did it. No, thanks, not again...

Good to see your are back, Vern....Happy New year...

You either ship or fly around the Darien. Only heard of Helge Pederson and Ed Culberson ever trying to "ride" it. Most fly as it is quicker than shipping. Horizons Unlimited have lots of info about getting around the Darien. Personal experience is flying with Copa Cargo to Quito. But there are plenty of other agents etc who can deal with it. Best thing is to go the the old cargo airport at Tocumen (take the road to the left that skirts around the airfield). There are quite a few cargo agents there that will take the bike.

At the moment it is cheaper and getting more popular to fly into Bogota with Girag - most riders quote US$350 for the bike plus fees etc at the other end to get the bike out. Colombia is still offically listed as "No Go" for overland travel on most western countries foreign office sites, but riders are going through there without problems, provided they stick to the basic safety rules and common sense actions. We rode through there in 03 without problems.

South America is fine whichever way you do it. Down the Pan Am on the West coast is very straight forward, better to venture off into the Andes in Peru. In Chile the Carretera Austral is a great ride, but you have to cross back into Argentina to get down to TDF. East back up to BA is all paved. If you head up into Brazil, check out UK licence requirements there. You can get up to Belem, where most people get the 5 day boat down the Amazon and into Manaus to continue north to Venezula.

Girag

Most fly from Panama City to where ever (Bogota or Quito, usually) with Girag. I flew from PC to Bogota in March 2004 - cost $350 for the bike ($250 shipping, $100 for stamps, sweeties for customs, dangerous goods etc). Easy as you like - just roll up at the cargo section of Panama airport, disconnect the battery and away it goes. Seems to take 3 or 4 days. Release in Bogota is easy, especially with the help of Senor Espana.

The other option is to ship with a private yacht from Colon to Cartegena. Again, your best bet for advice is horizonsunlimited.com Costs seem similar, about "$250 for the bike and $250 for a passenger, but you're at the drunken mercy of whichever salty captain you pick.

Whether Colombia is safe or not is another question. I thought it was double moody. Some people breeze through like it's just another stretch of the Pan Am, but it gave me the willies. Too may guns, guns, guns.

Cheers, Dan Walsh

Back
Top Bottom