Rear brake pad wear?

• Thread starter Deleted account W
  • Start date

Deleted account W

In the summer I lost the meat off one of my rear brake pads.

Had a new pair of pads fitted.

Checked the pads today and the same inside pad is nearly down to metal again.

Why is one wearing down at a faster rate than the other? The brakes don't seem to bind.

Had the same problem, Blue Bell said I rode with my foot on the brake, :rolleyes: I found that a set of steptoes pads and I take the caliper off give it a clean and use some copper slip on the back of the pads, keeps it working well, have just done the rear today, was last done two months ago, but full of crap and salt.
Worked a treat after, and the pads were in very good order :)

BMW Originals?

Went through 2 sets the same and then it just stopped. I thought it was my freak bike. Using EBC pads now and there is plenty of meat after 6k

N

Sounds like yer have a 'sticky' piston ( ie, one is fully or partially seized or held back by a gummed up seal ). Also,check for a build up of corrosion on the pins that the pads are supposed to slide on. One side is doing all the work and wearing that pad faster than the other.

perhaps you had the older style pads fitted, with even thickness pads -

The new pads have one pad thicker than the other, because there is an uneven wear problem, as the caliper is a single piston type, which means one side gets used a bit more
( technical term) than the other .

;)

Steptoe are you still flogging your pads?

If so how much?

I'm going to have a go at changing them myself :eek: :eek:

(I'll take the ones that are the same thickness please ;) )

Steptoe said:
perhaps you had the older style pads fitted, with even thickness pads -

The new pads have one pad thicker than the other, because there is an uneven wear problem, as the caliper is a single piston type, which means one side gets used a bit more
( technical term) than the other .

;)

Sounds like a typical BMW solution to a problem, instead of admitting there's a problem and sorting it out properly, do a bodge.

laughingBob said:
Sounds like a typical BMW solution to a problem, instead of admitting there's a problem and sorting it out properly, do a bodge.

Hi Bob, I think you'll find that only having one piston means it's called a "Design Feature"! :D

Norman

I think you'll find the problem is not limited to BMWs - the brakes (at least on the 12) are made by Brembo and my CB500 had the same caliper fitted and used exactly the same pads.

My suggestion would be check that the caliper slider pins are clean and greased.

I have never been able to get more than 6k out of my rear brake pads, will check them tonight as I have done all the greasing cleaning etc with the last batch and see if the wear is less after 3k.

maverick said:
I have never been able to get more than 6k out of my rear brake pads, will check them tonight as I have done all the greasing cleaning etc with the last batch and see if the wear is less after 3k.

BMW rear pads don't seem to last at all well. I never manage more than 6k from a set. EBC's on the other hand last 20k.

Bob

Whatton said:
Steptoe are you still flogging your pads?

If so how much?

I'm going to have a go at changing them myself :eek: :eek:

(I'll take the ones that are the same thickness please ;) )

Ferodo Platinum pads for the rear are £15 a set -

and they work very well ;)

Back
Top Bottom