Having never been there before ...

Deleted account 231002001

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
which part of the Pyrenees is the most striking, with the biggest peaks, deepest valleys, twistiest roads, nice gentle tracks and trails?

the area around viella is very nice, with fabulous roads and loads of easily accessible trails (if it's not all washed away now).

Jim I have some great mapsource files of picos and Pyrenees from 2010 and 2011 pm me with your e mail and I ll send them across :thumby:

Jim,

Paula and I have done most of the passes over the Pyrenees and they are all pretty damn good. If you want to come over for a chin wag about them the kettle's always on. :thumb2

Andy

Cross the Pyrenees into Spain towards Jaca and then turn left onto the N260 and just keep following it East - awesome road. Did it with 'er indoors onboard in June. :thumb

As has been said, the N260 is a stunning road on the Spanish side and the road between Sort and Vielha (C13/C28) is amazing. Another good and often overlooked one on the Spanish side is the road between Guardiola and Campdevanol (B401/402) - the C26 between Ripoll and Berga tends to be ridden more often. The N135 from Pamplona to St Jean Pied de Port is a cracking way to cross the mountains at the western end; going through Andorra is well worth it in the east. Any of the passes in the middle is good!

The French side has the higher passes and, for me, the more demanding/more rewarding riding. There are plenty of good, smaller roads that are narrower and a bit rougher than the main Spanish ones.

You can work your way west-east along the French side, stopping at St Jean Pied de Port, Lourdes, Foix, then finally stopping in Andora, enjoying great riding all the way - especially if you're criss-crossing from the French side to the Spanish side and exploring all the little by-ways.

Look out for the Tour de France cols - Aubisque, Soulor, Tourmalet and Aspin - near Lourdes. Near Foix, stop at the ruined castles of Montsegur and Peyrepertuse (take walking boots - you have to ankle it up from the parking spaces, but it's worth it). The citadel of Carcassonne is definitely worth a visit as well, though the city is obviously busy.

There are GPX routes for the French side of the Pyrenees available here: www.ride.co.uk/france

The files for the routes around Foix and Carcassonne contain two routes: slightly shorter ones on wider roads, suitable for pillions; longer variations with some narrower, slightly less-well-surfaced roads suitable for solo riders on adventure bikes

Thanks all.

Was buying a very nice XR this week but plans changed for various reasons.
Now going to wait until I have found myself a garage in Wivey before buying another bike.
Would still love to do this trip next year sometime.

Back
Top Bottom