Morocco write-up in Feb05 MSL

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
The Feb 2005 issue of Motorcycle Sport and Leisure has a good write-up of a solo GS650 ride through Morocco. Large photo on p75 is of Aremdt, a town built totally on a terminal morraine of a glacier.

Also of interest in this issue is an article on passing IAM and a review of the K1200LT.

Tim

Well timed Tim, ta

I'm planning for a quick solo trip to morroco this March/April on my 650.:thumb

I'm hoping it will be easy on the paperwork. Will buy the mag and post if any quetions.

Doesnt have to be a solo trip, but being a teacher limits the times that i can go, so i invariably travel on my own. Good job i like my own company then!;)

Tim

timmy said:

I'm hoping it will be easy on the paperwork. Will buy the mag and post if any quetions.

Just ask Tiffany when she gets back. She's on her way to Timbuctoo via Morocco on Thelma (her 650GS).

What a cracking photo of a purposeful looking 650 in Feb's MSL.

Just one question:

I want to ride to Erfoud and the Erg Chebbi dunes. Would the Rif mountains and surrounding area be best avoided with the apparent problems mentioned in MSL for a solo rider? Given that that this appears to be a longer route anyway.

Was John Newman just unlucky with those guys attempting to stop him whilst riding in the Rif area.

What do you lot know?

This will be a first, short ride outside of Europe.

Tim

The 'Mountain Crests Road' from Chefchaouen to Ketama and then on to Fes is one of the best rides in Morocco, and it's certainly the way the four of us are going in May. The Rif has been a kif growing area for decades and it was 'interesting' when I took my wife that way in 1974. But beware of scoring in the Rif as there's often police patrols round the corner that the dealers are in cahoots with.

Personally I thought the writer was being a bit neurotic. You'll find people trying to stop you to sell you things all the way through Morocco, and straying out into the road is just one of the ways to get you to stop.

If we had time we'd include Erfoud and Erg Chebbi but there's too much interesting stuff elsewhere.

Tim

tiff

the 650 is called ethel or enid

why? ask her yrself

didnt make sense to me

but why should it?

Timmy and time off

Timmy ,being a teacher it must be really hard trying to fit a trip in.Its not as if you get much time off eh??:D;):teacher
Enjoy your trip
Dave

Back
Top Bottom