Autocom - fitting and power?

Eddy802

Where do you 650 owners mount your Autocom units, and from where do you tap power so that the unit doesn't continually draw power?

My better half has recently joined your ranks and I'm tasked with the fitting of said device.

I think I'll opt to put the Active-7 in the tail space on the wall above the seat latch. Room enough in there for her phone and bike-to-bike radio.

Not sure where to tap in for juice though. Local dealer thinks such a task is worth £60 +VAT in time?!

All advice appreciated.

Thanks

Hope this helps as I just did it to Custard tarts, 04 650 GS this weekend.

On the near side of the bike inside the back box the loom is tied to the box frame. At this point you will feel a bulge, which happens to be the return (negative) wire junction. I opened the loom at this point and tapped into the Tail light wire coloured grey/Black for a positive feed, and into the the brown wires for negative. By picking the taillight you will have a power feed that will turn on and off with the ignition switch. If you look down the back of the light unit you will be able to check wire colours are the same as mine. Do not tap into the brake light wire or comms will be a bit stuttered and may adversly affect ABS??

I mounted the autocom unit at the rear of the box with a large cable tie against a piece of foam about 12mm thick,with the main cables out of the autocom at the top. By undoing the coloured side panels, and seven torx screws from the back box itself and the four small nuts just above the exhaust silencers you can lift the tail box sufficiently to bring the headset connector leads out under the seat alongside the main loom. The passengers lead can then curl up under the rear of the seat, the riders connection sticks up between the front of the seat and the "tank". Again hope this helps.

Despite my awful understanding of all things lectric, I think I'll be able to follow your directions.

Only concern, without a bike and Autocom unit to hand to have a look is your positioning of the unit. I found that the odd shape of the cubby hole meant that on it's side and on the front wall was the only place that the unit fit (other than lying it on the floor of the space).

Does them foam make the difference?
What unit did you fit?
Do you have any pics please? Perhaps CustardTart could help here?

Many thanks

hopefully this shows things a bit clearer:)

Unit is an Autocom active 7 smart

Attachments

• autocom 003a.jpg
    autocom 003a.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 207

Back
Top Bottom