Bmw say no need for crush washer on gearbox drain bolt??

stuart kerr

Reaction score
Can I have some advice please,

I called in at a bmw main dealers to pick up washers for the gearbox filler and drain bolts for my r1150gs.

The gent behind the counter said the parts diagramme lists a crush washer for the filler bolt but NO crush washer for the drain bolt.
Presumably then no crush washer required for the drain bolt.
Is this right ??

Sounds weird to me.
I've always used crush washers on drain and fill (on my 1100) and they are sold for this purpose at all the usual suppliers (Motorworks et al).

If anything I'd have said that its the drain that needs the washer as this is the one 'underwater' so to speak. I've often reused the fill bolt washer but usually replace the drain washer (unless I've run out :blast ).

I think your BMW parts man can't drive his microfiche ...

If you buy a genuine oil fiter there is a full set of washers included in the box.

Yes, but the bottom drain plug on the box does not use a washer (there are 2 drains, one on the side and one on the bottom) :beer:

Can I have some advice please,

I called in at a bmw main dealers to pick up washers for the gearbox filler and drain bolts for my r1150gs.

The gent behind the counter said the parts diagramme lists a crush washer for the filler bolt but NO crush washer for the drain bolt.
Presumably then no crush washer required for the drain bolt.
Is this right ??

The gent behind the counter is a twat, that's why he's working behind the counter and not allowed into the workshop. :D.
A washer is required for the 1150, it's the same size as the filler washer.

It's SOME of the 1100 models that don't require a washer. All of the 1150 models do.

Washer

The Hains book gives two torque specs for the 1100 from memory 23 nm with 30 nm without however I have always used a washer

I kept getting the wrong parts back when i ordered at my local BMW parts counter only use Motorworks now and never had a problem since !!

The gent behind the counter is a twat, that's why he's working behind the counter and not allowed into the workshop. :D.
A washer is required for the 1150, it's the same size as the filler washer.

It's SOME of the 1100 models that don't require a washer. All of the 1150 models do.

Isn't he referring to the Bottom (Underneath) drain bolt with the magnetic center which doesn't require a crush washer :nenau

Back
Top Bottom