Fuel gauge issues

yoxi675

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Chaps, I've fried the search button without success so here's my problem.

My 54 plate 1150 GSA's fuel gauge appears to be either reading low or not working correctly. The top most bar on the readout is not illuminating despite brimming the tank. It further shows empty around 30 odd miles prior to its usual range.
My question is can it be re calibrated or could it be the LCD display that's faulty?
It's in for service Friday so will be mentioning it then.
Cheers
Chris

Thanks for the quality reply. Just glad it's nothing terminally expensive.
Ill let Andy at Mol springs have a look whilst servicing it at the weekend

Chris

Have you ...

... drilled the filler neck ? I only ask because if the float is marginal to begin with then the extra allowed by the mod might be enough to trip it. You also need to remember that because of the shape of the tank the fuel gauge is not linear; the first segment can actually represent a third of the available fuel :eek:

Spending more money

It allows you to get more petrol inthe tank... not worth doing IMHO as you tend to lose most of the entre via the breather as soon as it gets warm and a range of 300 miles is plenty for me

It allows you to get more petrol inthe tank... not worth doing IMHO as you tend to lose most of the entre via the breather as soon as it gets warm and a range of 300 miles is plenty for me

That mod is more relevant to the std. 1150 which is supposed to have a 21 lltr tank. Do the mod and you can get 24 litres into it. BUT, fill up and ride, don't park or the engine heat soaks into the fuel causing it to expand and it will overflow onto the floor.

On a trip last year I managed 257 miles on the std. 1150 tank with filler neck mod. Just as well as that was the distance between fuel stations.:D

Oh dear, just because you have done the the fuel tank mod that doesn't mean it's then compulsory to completely fill the tank everytime you fill up. :rolleyes:

Just fill it completely as and when needed.

i.e. Like i had to in morocco in 2009 when the fuel drivers were on strike and a countrywide fuel shortage ensued. ;)

And as packer has said. It will overflow if you're the type that likes to scratch your arse or pick your nose after filling instead of getting on.

Back
Top Bottom