Done it again

John B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Every couple of years or so I decide to "improve" my Bike /Car:D, usually culminating in an expensive trip to the dealer/recovery truck/local garage to put right what I have buggered up.
This year is no exception, I procured a set of Rt wheels (thanks Scrumager) and set about getting some discs and fittings (how much:mad:) for them, all well so far.
With the support of a mate, wheels are inserted in the bike and even got the back one to recognise the abs by using feeler gauge as a shim. Front one the fitted, wheel span but when applying brakes it sort of seized up solid with no movement of brake lever.
In the morning went to look at it again and wheel now spinning freely, applied brake and same again, brakes locked on no movement on lever.
I mentioned this to a tech type who said the hoses may have perished and not letting fluid back so keeping the brake on, is this at all likely?
I'm going to let some of the fluid out to see if this makes a difference and did have the foresight to measure the width accross the discs which is the same as the original wheel, so before recovery to someone who knows what they're doing any thoughts??
Cheers:beerjug:John B

What hoses are they? It could be that or it could be the mastercylinder needing a rebuild

They are the original hoses, now 12 years old as is most of the bike:D going to re- fit original wheel tomorrow am to see if same fault appears! Any other thoughts welcome. Cheers:beerjug: John B

done it again

It could well be the hoses breaking down internally. A few years ago I had the same problem after fitting new pads. New hoses sorted it. I only replaced the front, leaving the rear till a couple of days later. the following day the rear hose failed internally and the brake didn't work coming up to a junction but it had worked ok 200 yards earlier.

Been there broke that! Well, maybe not that exact part but keep it between the hard mean yokes either side of ya !

check the front master cylinder

Had a similar problem last year. Turned out it was a problem with the front master cylinder.
Drained the brake fluid to strip the calipers, when the brakes were reassembled and bled, I failed to notice that there was no spurt of brake fluid from the internal base of the master cylinder (does this make sense) basically the pressure on the brake pads would increase but not release.
Solution to this was to use a wire cut from a wire brush, and poke the little hole in the master cylinder. I believe this disloged either dirt or crystalised brake fluid.
Anyhow, check the master cylinder spurts (watch your paintwork) brake fluid.
Worth a look inside your master cylinder !!

Thanks for all replies, I think I'm going to replace the hoses (thought about doing this some time ago but didn't want to brake the bike:D see what I did there)) so will report back, Ta for tip re master cylinder will give that a clean in the process. Cheers:beerjug:John B

Back
Top Bottom