Bike Exchange

markkfletcher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm researching a three week trip in the USA next summer. The consensus seems to be that renting or shipping your bike are the options, and that may be the case.

But I think there must be a cheaper alternative.

Buying and reselling is one possibility - if you sold the bike for $1000 less than you bought it you would be in good shape. But the time and effort of buying and selling could eat into your trip.

After a fair amount of googlework I found this site bikeshareworld.com which is an interesting idea. I'm nervous about letting someone use my bike, but it works okay with houses...

Has any used this or had any experience of a bike exchange?

There is a pal of mine from NZ who has done this and reckons it's broadly OK but you have to be a little careful. The last bike he used in Canada (800 Trumpet) was subject to all sorts of restrictions which kind of ruined his trip so just be sure that the owner knows exactly what you are doing. When he returned the bike the owner complained about all sorts of things like mileage etc when he knew where the bike was going etc

I would also check with your insurance over here that you can lend your bike to someone and what the insurance would be.

Tread carefully would be my advice.

Back
Top Bottom