Idea of Daily US Budget

Jamieboy

Reaction score
I know that this is rather a 'how long is a piece of string' type question but any input would be appreciated.

Me and the wife are planning to do our 'big trip' next summer - New York to San Fran.

Planning to take about 6 weeks to do it, which we're hoping is enough time to take it easy and spend time seeing the sites off the bike along the way.

I have toured in the US before but that was about 10 years ago so my idea on pricing is probably very out of date.

Would really appreciate a steer on the cost of fuel, budget motels, quick lunch at a diner, campsites and (most importantly) beer!

I'm hoping that armed with this information a (basic) budget can be worked out). One point to mention is that she's a teacher so unfortunately, we're restricted to July and August which I assume is the most expensive time.

Thanks in advance.

Last year, on Chris's San Francisco to Alaska trip, I found that I had spent around about £100 per day. That's food, drink, fuel and staying in motels.
Could be done cheaper if you wanted, but could also be done a heap more expensive. :thumb
Hope this helps
Mark

My 17 day/16 night tour last year cost £7500 for the two of us including:

Flights £1300
R1200RT from Eaglerider £2300
Helicopter flight over Gran Canyon £200
ATV rental in Ouray and Moab (fantastic fun) £275
Alcatraz £50
National Park pass £50
Hotels (v.expensive in Kayenta, Moab, Yosemite & San Francisco)
Meals
Drinks
Fuel

The Answer to how long is a pice of string is really very simple

It is the differnce between the two ends

should any one wish to know why bread/toast allways lands butter side down just ask

If you budget around £150 per day between you you won't be far wrong. Pick the smaller motels which are cheaper, generally very clean and comfy and offer a little more character than the chains. You will average around $100 (US) per night as some are cheaper and others will be pricey in the tourist hot spots. You mentioned campsites which will be cheaper but given the time of year you are going, sleeping under canvas will get very hot and sweaty in the high temps and do you really want to cart all that camping gear around?.

Fuel is around $4 per gallon and food is cheaper over there. The portions are enormous so you should get away with breakfast then a main meal at night.

You then have park passes which are around $12 a pop. It may be easier and cheaper to buy an annual pass which are around $80.

Thanks for the advice guys. Really helpful.

Better get saving if we're gonna be there for 6 weeks!!!

We bought a National Park pass then found it didn't work for the state parks, I'm pretty sure we didn't get great value from our National Park pass.

BTW one National Park pass will cover two bikes and riders...

As has been said, fuel and food quite cheap, as is accommodation off the tourist trail

If I was going again I'd try to take my own bike instead of renting a Harley

In all honesty, when I did my East-to-West-and back again trip in 2006, I never bothered to budget for it on a day-to-day basis. Petrol was a third of the price back home and budget motels (Motel 6) or Mom&Pop motels were $35ish a night. Breakfasts in motels were almost non existent so I tended to start riding about 8ish on an empty stomach, get a hundred miles under my belt before stopping at a cafe or a Subway about 10am. BTW only foreigners seem to stick with 6" Subs ;-) Then the second and main meal would be in the evening. Everything went on the credit card and I sorted it all out when I got back home. Yes, I also got a National Park pass and think I got good value out of it, as I visited about six or seven of them. I certainly didn't consider camping as transporting all that clobber out there would have been a nightmare. The bike had to be 'empty' to be transported by sea or air, and I had more than enough you carry onto the aircraft. If you are going to be riding six or seven hours a day in mid-Summer, you'll be grateful for a cool motel room to end the day at, clean sheets and a nice relaxing shower.

Six weeks is not long to cross a vast country, although I also did it in 2002. I loved visiting many of the tourist spots - Little Big Horn, San Antonio (the Alamo), San Francisco, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Crazy Horse, Cody, Mount Rushmore, Washington DC and NY, Mount Evans and Pike's Peak, Death Valley, the Blue Ridge Skyway, Deal's Gap, and many many more.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the expenditure, just take each day sensibly and enjoy one of the greatest countries in the World.:thumb

$200 per day average should cover gasoline, food, and lodging. Lodging is what really varies. The Super 8 motel that costs $120 in Vermont is $60-80 most everywhere else.
21 days will wear out a set of tires and oil so allow $600 or so for that. If you will be leasing a bike I guess consumables would be built into the price.

£200 a day......Anything left at the end and spend it on a good hotel, some class A`s and a couple of hookers:thumb
You will remember that shit forever:rob

He is going with his wife:blast:D But never say never:D

I'll start with the good hotel and see how far I can push it from there...!

Back
Top Bottom