Damper Reservoir Failure

Vampire

Was out riding on fire trails on Saturday when I noticed the suspension feeling strange. Stopped to check it out, noticed the oil dripping down (1st photo), then saw that the damper fluid reservoir had failed (2nd photo). I hadn’t been riding that hard, let’s face it, I’m not that good a rider, and the bike only has 2500kms on the clock, so the failure was very unexpected. Don’t know what the problem is, will take it to the dealer first thing Monday, but it looks as if internal pressure simply blew the cap off.
Had another 50kms of dirt to get out of the National Park, then 300kms of highways and suburbs to get home, and it was an interesting ride. Without damping, the spring just continued oscillating over every bump making it feel as if the bike was hinged in the middle, a bit like some of the Japanese bikes I owned in the 60’s and 70’s. The oil on the tyre wasn’t noticeable on the dirt, but was a little challenging on the sealed roads, as was the oil on the right foot peg.
Made it home ok, but the bike was a bit of a mess (3rd photo).
Another biking adventure to add to my memoirs.

Attachments

• damper problem.jpg
    damper problem.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 126
Wayne,
that ain't normal wear and tear! Dealer should replace.

Try taking the rubber inserts out of the footpegs next time you're off road - make a big difference in wet (water or oil:eek: ) conditions.

Good luck..........

Spout said:
Wayne,

Try taking the rubber inserts out of the footpegs next time you're off road
Good thinking ....... why didn't I think of that???
Actually I had only just put the standard footpegs back on after trying Fastway Evolution pegs for a month (see separate post). Had a problem with the Fastways because I couldn't adjust the rear brake pedal and also needed a longer gear change lever. May go to the Touratech enduro kit as my next option.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom