Rear Brake not working....

WindyChuffer

Reaction score
Numpty mechanic question time....

Rear brake is not working. Brake fluid level fine. Caliper does not appear to be seized - have removed pads and pushed piston in and out a few times.

Working the foot brake lever the Pads are pushed onto the disc a bit but not enough to make it bite.

With pads out, the piston comes out quite a bit further. Certianly enough to make the pads bite on the disc (if they were in).

With pads in its as if the piston / hydraulic circuit it doesn't want to push the pads in enough.

At a loss as to what to do next. Supposed to be heading to Wales for weekend of trail riding after work tomorrow and right now looks like am staying home.... Grrr.

Suggestions???

Ta !!!

Mike

Ensure that the pedal is adjusted so that, when your hoof is not on the pedal, it travels fully back to its home position. Make sure that this is being transferred to the master cylinder pushrod too.

Mike

Ensure that the pedal is adjusted so that, when your hoof is not on the pedal, it travels fully back to its home position. Make sure that this is being transferred to the master cylinder pushrod too.

Check positive to all that. Thx.

Sounds like it needs bleeding, but assume you've already done that? If you don't know how to your local shop should be able to help, or someone on here, unfortunately I'm down the M3 so in the wrong direction!

Cheers

Markie

Master cylinder loose, chain lube on disc, bleed brake/new fluid, wheel spacers correct, fluid leak/seals in master cylinder, pads seated in caliper???

Bled it outside in the dark and rain after my toddler was asleep. Sorted. :thumb

Surprised how much air was in there.

Guess its down to not being used for 2-3 months over the summer; sitting there subject to the heatwave and expansion / contraction plus seals drying out due to lack of use. Resulting in air getting in. Well that's the best theory I can come up with anyway.

Cheers for your suggestions.

Off to Machynlleth tomorrow afterwork for weekend of trail riding now the bike is sorted. Yee haa.

M.

Back
Top Bottom