K1300gt a few problems please read

vfrjohn

Reaction score
bought a 2009 k1300gt se last June 12000 miles on the clock and very happy. May this year done a tour of WW1 sites in France and Belgium and no problems got back home and just clocked up 18000 miles the big service valve clearances plugs oil air filters shaft oil brake fluid change. Booked in at local dealers for a discount price of £350 called back day after to collect informed all done paid started bike but didn't think it sounded quite rite but thought it must be me. Got home took me helmet of and no this did not sound the same as when I took it in sounded like air filter no connected or drawing in air somewhere my son even said that's not right. So phone dealer they say bring it back day after which I do anyway after stripping it down again and finding a pipe had not been connected. That took a hour and half so took bike home then only put 100 miles on to scrub in new tyres ready for trip to Spain in September. Second day off holiday in Spain turning into a garage rear brake totally fails ie no brake pedal just goes to the floor park up press pedal 7 or 8 times pedal coms back. This happened on two more occasions quite scary. Then the headlight adjuster decides to fall apart where the headlight then is pointing to the moon. Anyway back of holiday take bike back to dealers explain about back brake and cheap plastic knob that as fell of headlight and that they serviced brakes before going on holiday. They call me a couple of days later and say can't find a fault with back brake so will re bleed and needs a new headlight. I have a extended warranty but does not cover the headlight but the dealer says it will sort it out not sure why if it's not covered but not complaining.collect bike bring home only to find that right indicator not fitted correctly and fairing panels don't meet ie inner and outer don't overlap to stop water Ingres. Call them back and tell them so they come and collect in the meantime iam still not happy with the back brake so ring another dealer and speak to a tec who says it will be the piston in the master cylinder sticking he has had this before. I ring my dealer who are reluctant to change it as they need a good reason I say how many times do you want the brake to fail and do I have to crash for it to be a good enough reason. A week latter and they call me bike ready new rear master cylinder fitted and bike dropped back of today result.

It seems like the tea boy serviced your bike !:D

Make a list of problems & email the dealer and BMW see what response you get.

Headlight is common problem on GS's and the warranty doesn't cover it. Fcku wit tech at BMW dealer broke mine during MOT adjusting the headlight and then tried to explain to me that i had hit a bump and broken it !. I thought this interesting as the GS is sold as an off road motorcycle :eek:

My GS went in for a service and then as i was in france the clutch started to lose pressure, the bleed nipple was only finger tight and leaked air into the system. Mechanics are people and do make mistakes.

Jim:thumb

Forgot to mention when the van driver picked up the bike and I told him about the the headlight adjuster black knob coming off and headlight pointing skywards he said yer we have had a few like that. There is a flick type leaver that adjusts the light if you are carring extra weight but when you flick this leaver all the pressure goes onto the little black knob which is pushed onto a knurled metal screw which adjusters the headlight. it is poorly made part and I think this is why bmw changed it for free.

Back
Top Bottom