carbs

shiredevon

as i'm having having the Siebenrock conversion fitted, new clutch etc is there anything that i should consider doing to the carbs as the bike is fairly long in the tooth, it's done about 30k i wondered if ther were any diaphrams that perish over time,
any advice appreciated.
nick

Check diaphragms for holes etc, grease the choke mechanism, check needles etc for wear.

If increasing capacity, you may need to increase the main jet & raise the needle although you may get jetting info with the kit?

No no no

Steve Pickford said:

If increasing capacity, you may need to increase the main jet & raise the needle although you may get jetting info with the kit?

Dont do this automaticaly.
I found that the midrange was much richer with the kit so lowered the needles (new, with new needle jets).
Siebenrock advice was to enlarge main jet only if other components were modified ie free flowing exhaust and intake (which I have!) but I found that i dont need to.

I get decent consumption 18-20 Km per liter on the road with mixed city/country roads, but according to plug color and exhaust soot I could even go leaner but for safety sake I dont.

All the best, Miky

I fiited the kit and made no alterations and the bike runs fine, its a lot smoother and fuel consumption seems better, the only problem I found is that the motor revs out in top gear,watch your rev counter ! I think you will be pleased with the results. My bike has done nearly 100 k on the same diaphrams. Get a carb service kit and change all the o rings and gaskets and it should be fine.

good to know

unfortunately my bike being an 81 r80g/s doesn't possess a rev counter, still it's good to know that your all pleased with the results, thanks for the info.
nick

no change

Nick, you should have no problems with carb's, no mod's made to mine and I get approx. 50mpg..........which I reckon is ok considering how I ride. The twin plug conversion will add around 10-12% to this.
You may be able to find a revcounter, it is very useful as the engine will overrev so easily you will need to watch it !!!

high tech

i'll look out for a counter, i presume it's electronic, any particular one i should look for,
i may struggle with the technology, as i've only just mastered indicaters.

Nick,

It was an optional extra on the paralever, might still be availble new. Not sure if the G/S loom is wired for it though. Might be worth checking with Motorworks, Motobins or James Sherlock to see if they have a used one, I am sure it could be wired into the older loom. You would need the monting bracket as well.

Cheers

Duncan

plugs in

Nick,
if you can find one it just plugs in, wiring already there!!!. They were optional on the early models, as were clocks.
Just post for one and also try Motoworks etc, you will struggle to get one used though , but they can still be bought from BMW anyway.
Fred

Back
Top Bottom