Sidestands

Rob Farmer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My R80GS left hand crashbar was mashed when I got the bike so I'm currently running without a side stand. I've been looking for a replacement set of bars with the sidestand mount but there doesn't appear to be any available. Are there any alternatives out there or a sidestand without the crashbar? I've just had the frame powder coated so don't really fancy having a bracket welded on, I did see a bike at the BMF with a nice bolt on sidestand but it looked like a very well made one off.

:beerjug:

I assume you`ve tried the usual suspects?
Motorworks,Sherlocks,Moto Bins,etc?
I needed the same for mine two years ago,and had to wait 6 weeks for it from Germany. When it came,I opened the bag, clearly marked Left Hand Side,and discovered a RIGHT side bar!! :mad: :mad:
Cue another wait.............Good Luck !!

Looks like a trawel round the second hand guys then. I'm still on for Saturday Tarka if you are going to be in. I'll give you a call tomorrow.

sidestand

I bought a surefoot from Motowroks, which they are technically unable to supply for a GS G/S. All you need to do is shorten the length of it and also remove the U piece that goes round frame and re-weld it the other end. Just bolt it to your footrest mounting and you have a first class stand. remember to use something like a disc lock cable to remind you to put it up before you ride off.
:beer:

i've been after a surefoot for years. how is it MW can supply them, but not for GS?

have you any pics of mods required?

sure foot stand mounted in completly different place between models , i think it had the footrest incorporated into the mount -

Try giving Bob Porecha a ring, it was him who designed /manufactured it .

I seem to remember that the late John Hill of Bracken was getting a batch of replica surefoot stands made up. Don't know if they ever turned up, but could be worth checking with Broken.

The chap who originally made them passed away or packed in making them or got a job with the foreign office or something.

Sean Kelly said:
The chap who originally made them passed away or packed in making them or got a job with the foreign office or something.

That was Bob Porecha - he had to stop making them due to the laws that came in regarding retractable sidestands -

( but if you asked nicely and quietly, they could be "found" under the counter)

;) ;)

Surefoots..

Surefeets?
dunno if this helps, but
Anyhow - years ago, i remember a "pipe and slippers" member that did a bit of buying and selling from Ilford. he specifically advertised Surefoot stands.
a gent by the name of Nigel Huish. he used to advertise in the Journal.
he's an ....unusual character - i bought an R65 off him.
though - as for doing business with him; absolutely straightforward.
Og.
hopefully helping.

dont make it so hard

Just call Motoworks, ask for a surefoot !!!! It will come drilled for the footrest mount, but the 'U' pice on the flat metal part is at the wrong end. Also the metal part is about 3" to long. Cut the excess metal off, remove 'U' piece and weld on other end (fartherest from hole) for bolt and its done. It took about 10 minutes to fit and is in exactly the right place:D :beer:
It is so easy to see once your looking at it and if I could work it out anyone could. Some things really are that simple !!!!!!:beer:

nigel huish doesn't make them any more unless you want a batch. perhaps.

making plans for

Nigel Huish;
is he still buying and selling Beemers and all parts thereof?
(apology for thread hijack)
Og.

SUREFOOT

Conversion available - Schneider's Montana 59872 c.$50
P.J.

Re: SUREFOOT

P.J. said:
Conversion available - Schneider's Montana 59872 c.$50
P.J.

Can you add more detais please?

Thanks, Miky

A little warning...

I had a very bad experience with Wudo in Germany. As a short guy I find the original side stand uncomfortable, and that is put mildly.
Searching the net I've found a converted sidestand from Wudo, on which they add a long lever that makes it possible for me to use while seating.
i dont remember the cost but it was a modification done to your stand or else it cost you much more (the cost of a new original stand).
As for the distance, I called them to ask if I can pay for the stand , get it and than send mine so I dont stay without a sidestand for a few weeks.
They replied that it is not possible, but i can pay for the conversion and a new stand and then after sending them mine I'll get refunded.
Sounded fare, so that was what I did.

Imagine my surprise whem 2 weeks after sending them my old stand i got a letter which said that my stand is not good enough for refunding, If I want it back I'll be charged for the postage back here (Israel).

Beware of WUdo!

It is the most expensive sidestand in the world and on top of this not the best solution to the problem.

Miky

I've got the same problem (mashed crash bar) and have been told that it is possible to make an R80 G/S sidestand fit the R100 GS. Apparently the earlier stand fits to the enigine mount. I've got one on order - I'll let you know if it works. I've got a Surefoot on another bike and it's excellent, so that may be a better solution anyway.

Drew

sorry guys

Giving you duff info. The surefoot does indeed fit to the rear engine bolt. It needs to be about 6mm longer. I seem to recall the front engine mount stud is longer and we used one of those. My other info was correct, it fits perfect.
Dood'

Back
Top Bottom