Pyrenees route ?

Silence

Me and my wife are looking to get the ferry to Bilbao and then travel through the Pyrenees across to the northern Spanish coast and a place called Le Franc to meet up with the in-laws. We will be doing it at the back end of May.

Would anyone recommend any places that are a must see on this route and good places / towns to stay. I was thinking of spending a couple of nights on route so we could enjoy the Pyrenees and not just riding from dawn to dusk.

I was also considering crossing into France, is it worth it ? or best to just stay in Spain.

Thanks for any suggestions.

We were there 'playing' in september last year. We stayed at a camptite just outside the town of 'Sort' which is south west of Andorra. There are so many wonderful roads to ride you probably won't need to go to France. The N260 out of 'Sort' is a fantastic mountain route which we nicknamed as the 'race track'. the asphalt is superb and it has some amazing corners with some nice hairpins and sweeping corners. It runs about 30km out of Sort over the mountain and down the other side into the valley to 'Carretera de la Seu D'Urgell a Sort' - if you are in that part of the world it is highly recommended.

If you have a GPS take a look at the attached Mapsource file to see some of the other routes we rode.

Attachments

• 2004 pyrenees.zip
    94.1 KB · Views: 147
Thanks for that, I look forward to opening it tonight when I get to my home computer.

I have just got a Streetpilot III form Santa so will try it out.

Thanks Gecko you are a map / touring god as usual.
:reynolds

Credit where credit is due, MiGSel actually worked out all the routes - I just went along for the ride. :D

If you are new to this GPS lark then when you upload the route and open it on your PC, make sure you click on the route once and then right mouse click the route. You will then get an option to recalculate. Do this and then save it . This will ensure that your route is now recalculated to your Mapsource version. Because of the different versions of City Select and City navigator you need to do this before loading the route onto your GPS unit and trying to use it for real. If you don't do this whenever you get a route from someone else you can run into problems that the route may suddenly recalculate itself or just stop working mid way through your trip.
Cheers
Gecko

Col du Tourmalet (2114m, 6935ft) is a must and is on the Tour de France route. Fantastic views. Just about the highest pass in the Pyrenees.

In 2003 we rode noth from Barcelona to Andorra la Vella then an overnight hotel stop in Sort. Next day went to Col D'Aspin then Col du Tourmalet, then an overnight B&B in Argeles-Gazost. The following day we reached the N117 and rode west to San Sebastian and Ondarroa. Bilbao was only an hours ride from there.

You won't be disappointed with the Pyrenees.

Back in the valley, time for coffee in the sun

Attachments

• img_0008.jpg
    img_0008.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 228
Spain / Andorra

You'll have a fab time - that part of the world was our personal 'race track' on many a trip!

Cheers

Charlie

:hapybnce:

CharlieM, was that on my beloved Thunder Ace that you used the Pyrenees as a race track ?

Still have the Ace trying to sell it as after the cash, but not trying very hard as I still love it and don’t want to see it go really !

Must meet up some time for a spin out.

Silence (aka Tony H)

:beerjug:

The Pyrrenees were very instructive for both of us, me and the 'Ace!! Sort of glad you've still got the beast, at least you will still look after her.

Actually, the most scratching was done on the Kwak (much lighter) and me much better (but not much lighter!).

Would be very interested in having a meet up. I am off to Morocco in April and need to get some miles in before we go, to shape up after the winter lay-up.

Gimme a ring if you have specific date in mind.

Cheers

Charlie

:p

Back
Top Bottom