Base camp--Transfering Maps

corky

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This question arose when trying to reserect my 2610. In a bid for up to date maps I downloaded open street map for spain to the pc. I then opened mapsorce and base camp and there it appears. The difference then is how do I transfere the map down to the device. The mapsource way still works, zoom out, use the maptool and select the tiles,---send to device---add routes later. In base camp I cant find the map tool---is this because I usually down load from the Garmin website, or is there a way of doing it. If not its stick to map source as a reader for open street maps.

Any thoughts,

Thanks,
Bill

It's not currently part of Basecamp but a separate application. Have a look on the software section of the Garmin website for MapInstall.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Bumpkin,
I do download maps from the garmin website thats quite easy, but have not seen a way of uploading a non garmin map there and then downloading it to device. With mapsource you upload any compatible map to pc, open mapsource, then transfer to device. Is this a way garmin has further control, so eventually only garmin maps can be put on to the machine? I do have lifetime maps, but they just are not good enough for unpaved roads etc---ones which are shown clearly in openstreet maps , google or tom tom!"
Thanks,

Bill

OpenStreetMap mapping should show in MapInstall as well as be transferable. However, OSM provides a GMAPSUPP.IMG file so you don't need to do this. You just put that in the Garmin folder on your SD card or on the GPS's internal memory.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

You need local tech support. See Skipper.

Regards, Neil

I've just tested the theory; loading OSM mapping for Australia by writing from the PC installed map-set using MapInstall to an SD card. This created the correct Garmin folder on the card and wrote a GMAPSUPP.IMG file.

I then plotted a route in Basecamp from just outside the Sydney Opera House to the race circuit at Phillip Island and then exported this to the same SD as the OSM based GMAPSUPP.IMG file created above. Route is now running in simulation mode on my Nuvi 765, all seems good :)

I then took this one step further combining the Aus OSM GMAPSUPP.IMG file with OSM mapping for Florida creating a new GMAPSUPP.IMG file using GMapTool. I wanted to see if I could combine OSM map-sets into one as there appears to be a limit on how much data you can include in one download and you can apparently only have 2 or 3 of GMAPSUPP.IMG files on a Garmin GPS (later models may allow more). If you wanted/needed to create a GMAPSUPP.IMG file for the whole of Europe for example you could do this with GMapTool, combining the readily available map-sets for each country. In my tests so far this works well and runs the above route without issue. It's a 600 odd mile route so I'm probably not running it over the full distance.

Of course with a 2610 you would run into the available space issue before completing a map-set of Europe but you would be able to combine countries or just the required tiles together into a single map-set for a given tour up to the 2GB CF card limit.

However, I then remembered, from my days owning Quest, that you could in fact do the same thing with Mapsource, selecting tiles from one map-set, swapping the map-set and then selecting further tiles from that before 'sending to device'. Well, it appears that you can do the same thing with MapInstall as well. Select the tiles you require and then swap the map-set and continue to to select tiles from that one combining parts, of all, of two or more map-sets into one GMAPSUPP.IMG file.

This question arose when trying to reserect my 2610. In a bid for up to date maps I downloaded open street map for spain to the pc. I then opened mapsorce and base camp and there it appears. The difference then is how do I transfere the map down to the device. The mapsource way still works, zoom out, use the maptool and select the tiles,---send to device---add routes later. In base camp I cant find the map tool---is this because I usually down load from the Garmin website, or is there a way of doing it. If not its stick to map source as a reader for open street maps.

Any thoughts,

Thanks,
Bill

The Grey one is the man to ask.

Back
Top Bottom