Green lane riders

astrro

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi having just bought a Drz 400 to start doing a bit of green laning again, am looking for people to go out with at the weekends. Nothing too mad just up and down the viking way and any where else not to far away from Grantham :thumb

Hi having just bought a Drz 400 to start doing a bit of green laning again, am looking for people to go out with at the weekends. Nothing too mad just up and down the viking way and any where else not to far away from Grantham :thumb

I think the Viking way is closed now

More than happy to give you a shout when I'm next heading up to the Peaks. The nearest decent trails I know start from just behind Matlock and take me about 40mins to ride to from Nottingham - is that too far for you?

Andres

Planning on being there,

Would of liked to have gone out yesterday ( new years day) but got carried away on a bottle of port the night before :friday

I think Viking way is still open there where a few bikes on it on Monday :thumb

It may not be physically closed but it could still have a closure in place meaning it can't be legally ridden.

More than happy to give you a shout when I'm next heading up to the Peaks. The nearest decent trails I know start from just behind Matlock and take me about 40mins to ride to from Nottingham - is that too far for you?

Andres
::

Hi Andres At the moment yes not sure if i could stand going there at 55mph
Am going to get it in to mikeyboy when i have the funds to change the sprockets and have a play about with it

It may not be physically closed but it could still have a closure in place meaning it can't be legally ridden.

Not sure about that

I've been riding there on and off for the last 30 + years and never had a problem

How would i find out?

Join the TRF, the groups in your area are very active.
http://www.trf.org.uk/membership/join-online.html
http://www.trf.org.uk/groups.html
Once you're joined up, give me a shout and I'll give you an invite to North Wales, if your mates are in the TRF they can come too.
If you need any advice about bike prep or repairs, I can help too having had DRZ bikes since they came out.....many years ago now! ;)

Timpo.

I saw something on TRF website about the closure of the VWay

Join TRF & check

You don't want your new drz seized & crushed :)

The Viking Way next to me is ridden every weekend, legally or illegally!

Only on a mountain bike by me!

Not sure about that

I've been riding there on and off for the last 30 + years and never had a problem

How would i find out?

As others have said the TRF is the best way,I have joined but have not yet attended a local group meet.It does give you access to more information and the membership fee helps towards fighting closures etc.
I believe you should be able to get the info from the local council rights of way officer,but how easy that is I have no idea.
I would have thought someone who is local at the east mids rally may be able to help.

While we are on the subject......
I live beside a Green Lane. It is very narrow, steepish, but not particularly challenging. It does not link up any routes, and is about 300m long. It becomes challenging if you meet horse riders...neither party can turn around because of the width. It also runs through a village, and is overlooked by 20 cottages.
It is really unsuitable for motorbikes because of the village and horses, but generally the same mob visit on alternate Saturdays. No doubt they are not braking the law, but the whole village would love to see the back of them.
In short, I am quite sure the general public would really appreciate it if we would keep to the more remote areas of the countryside for our adventures, where we will not be noticed.
Wishing you all a Happy New Year
Pete T
Lifelong offroader
Robin Hoods Bay

Andres

It's not too far for me. But I'd be on a brand new 1200 GSA on road tyres & have absolutely zero experience of off-roading.
I'd love to put the bike to some off-road use if only I could find someone local & kind enough to hold my hand & not laugh at me........:comfort :augie

Not sure about that

How would i find out?
Get in touch with your local council and ask them where you have to go to look at the definitive maps. It will probably be Lincolnshire County Council offices.

It's not too far for me. But I'd be on a brand new 1200 GSA on road tyres & have absolutely zero experience of off-roading.
I'd love to put the bike to some off-road use if only I could find someone local & kind enough to hold my hand & not laugh at me........:comfort :augie

There are quite a few trails that'll be fine for a GS off road novice - when it gets a bit drier (I'm assuming you have road tyres) I'll be more than happy to show you some. If you're up for it remind me when the weather gets a bit drier :)

Andres

The Viking Way next to me is ridden every weekend, legally or illegally!

Only on a mountain bike by me!

That wasn't you who gave me the finger this afternoon was it Duncan:eek:

There are quite a few trails that'll be fine for a GS off road novice - when it gets a bit drier (I'm assuming you have road tyres) I'll be more than happy to show you some. If you're up for it remind me when the weather gets a bit drier :)

Andres

Cheers, I'll definitely take you up on that. maybe after a Cafe Hockley breakfast?

Yip - I'm on road tyres & have zero ability.

i will sort out a GS friendly run around the vale in the spring ,once the lanes dry a little.:D
ref viking way,there is definitely a TRO on part of it south of grantham,the bit before you get to the glider airfield,
paul,if you bring a few local OS maps to the camping meet or over to the workshop i will mark them up with a highlighter :thumby:.
unfortunately the vale of belvior covers three maps:blast

Back
Top Bottom