Santander to Gibraltar

autobump

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
It is looking that I may have some work in Gibraltar for a few days at the end of February. Yes I can fly, but my thoughts are turning to getting a ferry across to Santander or similar and riding down with planned stops at Salamanca and Seville.

Looking at ferry times I'll have about three days to get down before I need to start work.

Would appreciate any thoughts/experiences on towns and weather at that time.

Ian

Hi Ian, you could go Santander......Burgos.........Madrid...........Gra nada...........Malaga..............Gibraltar, you can do it in about 14 hours with a stop for a bite to eat, but you would arrive in Gib at about 3am not a good idea, so plan a night or two anywhere along the way you fancy, or your route with a stop overs . The weather will be cold anywhere north of a line from Badajoz to Granada colder than the UK mostly at that time of the year, because Spain has a lot of mountains and high plateaus, I hope that helps. :thumb2

Badajoz - Granada, most of Spain then, didn't realise that about temp, was thinking as I went south it would be getting a bit warmer than the UK.

Thanks for the info

I have stayed at the Hotel Recolotos (or something) in Salamanca a couple of times (last in 2010 so may have changed). Its a big corporate style hotel but its handy for the road network and was surprisingly cheap for a nice big room with breakfast. From memory it was 55Euro for two at the end of October. Has an underground garage, decent bar & restaurant, and there's a few shops and bars within walking distance. Its not in the town centre though. Easy striking distance from Santander and you dont have to use the Autopistas either. I would expect central spain to be VERY cold in February.

Hi Ian, you could go Santander......Burgos.........Madrid...........Gra nada...........Malaga..............Gibraltar, you can do it in about 14 hours with a stop for a bite to eat, but you would arrive in Gib at about 3am not a good idea, so plan a night or two anywhere along the way you fancy, or your route with a stop overs . The weather will be cold anywhere north of a line from Badajoz to Granada colder than the UK mostly at that time of the year, because Spain has a lot of mountains and high plateaus, I hope that helps. :thumb2

That's the way I always went :thumb2

It's even faster now that the M50 around Madrid is done, but make sure you have UP TO DATE mapping for that section, it can be a bloody confusing motorway.....you'll swear you've done 3/4 of a circuit before you find the exits for the A4 south.
Dropping on to it from the A1 is easy, and although it can look better to go anti-clockwise, it's better clockwise.

Dead on about the weather as well.......particularly between Burgos to the mountains just north of Madrid......fekking freezing!!!!

You'll see snow ploughs on standby at every entrance and exit to the motorway though, and they are extremely efficient at keeping it all open.

Even in May last year it snowed on our parade an hour south of Santander

Madrids elevation is over 600 metres ( approx 2000 ft) above sea level. It gets cold up there :thumb

Go via Salamanca and Seville it is more direct route to Gibraltar.
A mate of mine is Running 3 trucks aweek to Gib and that is the route they now take from Santander.
Salamanca is nice city to stay overnight.

Thanks for the advice, but decided to fly, it was the thought of a rough ferry crossing that has put me off.:barf

At the end of March it will be spring like anywhere along the Med coast, but in the centre and the north it can still be very cold with snow still on the mountains.

Back
Top Bottom