coming to ireland

fizzer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
hi guys a few of us are touring ireland in early may for a week,first night we will be in dublin then heading south and coming up the other side ,anyway thirteen of us are coming over and as i am the only one on a bmw ,could some please tell me where there is the bmw dealers in ireland just in case i get stuck and need help .
cheers guys

Joe Duffy in Dublin, Keary's in Cork and Hursts in Belfast. There are plenty of good independents too.

thankyou very much sir ,very good of you,i always like to be prepaird :thumb

1st of may ,we stopping at the premier inn in dublin,dont ask we witch one as i didnt book it mate ,but it will be close enough for a night out on oconel st i hope:thumb2

Not a Dubliner, but for nights out, you'll do better to head across the river to Temple Bar. As far as I remember, O'Connell Street is mainly shops.

Also, again, from a non-Dubliner's point of view, I'd avoid Duffy's BMW in favour of Keary's in Cork (or an independent). I've always found Keary's to have a very straight and common sense view to their service, in contrast to my one and only visit to Duffy's who were only interested in squeezing the last euro out of a stranded biker.

Fizzer, stay off O Connell street. Sad to say it but as a Dubliner I'd not walk it at night. It's a kip in the evening. Cross the Liffey to Grafton street or as said above go to Temple Bar area.

Edit, just googled "Premier Inn Dublin". It comes up that it's in Swords. It's a suburb north of the city. Nowhere near the city center, so you might ask your mate is that where you are staying......

Dublin hotel

You are going to find it very hard to get better value nearer the city centre for that date and number of people. Swords is only 15 minutes by taxi or bus into the city centre. There a few Cab companies in Swords who have 8 and 9 seater vehicles that will look after you. The cost per head will be low. Our company here ( I am based in Swords) use Cab 2000 and find them very good. They can be contacted on 0035318900900.
I agree with everyone, O'Connell street is a kip. Head towards Temple bar and the surrounding areas, such as Dame Street, and bear in mind that you are likely to be paying at least €5.50 for a pint there.
Also there are a few good pubs in Swords only a 5 minute walk from the hotel with plenty of life in them if you wanted to avoid the hassle of making your way in and out of the city.

The Swords Express goes by the door of the Premier Inn. Great service. But a taxi for a few lads will be only a few euro each, well worth it. And if you go for a pint in Swords drop in to The Old Schoolhouse or The Cock Tavern, great pubs. As mentioned above, skip O'Connell st. http://www.ukgser.com/forums/images/smilies/aidan.gif

Make sure you lock your bikes while in Dublin. There's been a few high profile thefts of bikes in the last year or two. Swords may not be as bad as inner city Dublin though.

well thanks very much guys for the heads up on things,when in dublin we are staying at the Rathmines Travelodge ,so if we need to get taxis to the temple bar area thats fine ,we will certainly use the number one of you guys has just given me.
second day we going down to cork,third up to galway ,then up to the north to port stewart,then home the next day from belfast .
all this is the supposed route bus as with best plans things can change as we want to go to a few of the tourest spots too.
we have done the west coast of scotland many times ,as its not to far from us as we are only in newcastle,so this is a new venture ,somewhere fresh to discover.
really looking forward to it.

well thanks very much guys for the heads up on things,when in dublin we are staying at the Rathmines Travelodge ,so if we need to get taxis to the temple bar area thats fine ,we will certainly use the number one of you guys has just given me.
second day we going down to cork,third up to galway ,then up to the north to port stewart,then home the next day from belfast .
all this is the supposed route bus as with best plans things can change as we want to go to a few of the tourest spots too.
we have done the west coast of scotland many times ,as its not to far from us as we are only in newcastle,so this is a new venture ,somewhere fresh to discover.
really looking forward to it.

Dont bother with OConnel St at night. Its not dangerous but can be rough. A lot of p*s heads and the odd fight. Nothing you wont miss.

The travelodge in Rathmines is ok location. You have Slatterys pub up the the road. Nice guiness. Not sure about parking for your bikes, dont know if it has a car park or not. But lock your bikes anyway, even if parked off street. Better to be safe than sorry. from travelodge down over the canal into the city is a straight walk. Couple of good pubs along the way.

Temple Bar is ok, but Id only go there for a beer or two if I was you. Plenty of other good bars around back towards dame street all the way back up to camden street, 5 min walk from your hotel. Ourselves, we'd would avoid TBar completely. Just not our scene to be honest. All diddly music etc. Each to their own.

Lots of places to eat from where you are to town.

If you want, throw up a few more q's, be happy to help :thumb2

Rathmines - home ground for me.
If i can assist in any way - P.M. me. :thumb

Love the Old Schoolhouse, great grub too.

The bar food is top class, but the restaurant upstairs is the best value going. The mid week menu is amazing value. Was there last Fri night, will be back again very soon!

:bow

Back
Top Bottom