Open Street Maps and Basecamp

newboy

mechanical buffoon
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The Wirral - where the nice people live... Or Vanu
I have been playing with OSM and basecamp.

I can get the maps generated and into BC.

How do I copy the gmapsupp file into the zumo...

Do I buy a new SD card (v cheap now) and copy the file over - this means I have "old" maps available by simply swapping cards..

Or is there some other jiggery pokery?

I have been playing with OSM and basecamp.

I can get the maps generated and into BC.

How do I copy the gmapsupp file into the zumo...

Do I buy a new SD card (v cheap now) and copy the file over - this means I have "old" maps available by simply swapping cards..

Or is there some other jiggery pokery?

That's what I do with osm maps.

The GMAPSUPP.IMG file should go into a folder called 'Garmin'. You can write this to the SD card (you might need to create the folder if it's not already there), or to the internal memory if there's room.

If there's already a file called GMAPSUPP.IMG then back this up to your computer and then overwrite. Alternatively, I believe that, you can rename the GSM GMAPSUPP.IMG file to GMAPSUPP_01.IMG. Not all Garmin models will allow the later, only the more recent ones.

Once you've installed the maps you will need to go into the menu on your GPS and make them active. On the Zumo 660 this is, ISTR, Tools > Settings > Maps > Map Info. Ensure that the mapset you require has a tick in the check-box next to it..

I think that you can call it anythingyoulike.img if it's in the garmin folder on the card. Trouble is that by default the map name of OSM maps is generic OSM routable or something similar which makes it a bit difficult when you have two because gamin sees them as the same. It is possible to edit this if you are desperate. I find it's easier to use a few 2gb cards and keep a map per card. You don't need to install them in basecamp. If you put the card in a card reader basecamp will read it as a "device" and you can use the map in basecamp straight from the card.

I think that you can call it anythingyoulike.img if it's in the garmin folder on the card.

Yes, I believe that's the case.

walrus said:
Trouble is that by default the map name of OSM maps is generic OSM routable or something similar which makes it a bit difficult when you have two because gamin sees them as the same. It is possible to edit this if you are desperate.

JaVaWa can be used to rename, and give a different ID number to OSM mapping installed on your PC. You can then install other OSM mapping regions alongside.

I believe that GMapTool can be used to merge map-sets.

You can edit name and number with GMap tool as well.

GMapTool seems to need an ad-on to install maps for BaseCamp and MapSource. JaVaWa has OSMCombiner which woks on it's own although it's a stroppy bugger for falling over with heap allocation errors.

Back
Top Bottom