shiny screens on 2610 vs BMW?

birdseye

Reaction score
comment made today by a pal who uses a BMW mk2 gps - he reckoned that the screen on the BMW version was non relective and a garmin 2610 he tried was so reflective as to be very difficult to read on a bike. same for the quest.

is this correct or was he unlucky with the garmin he tried?

birdseye said:
comment made today by a pal who uses a BMW mk2 gps - he reckoned that the screen on the BMW version was non relective and a garmin 2610 he tried was so reflective as to be very difficult to read on a bike. same for the quest.

is this correct or was he unlucky with the garmin he tried?

It's CRAP! It's just BMW TRYING!!! to justify the extra cost of "their" GPSR. Do you really think Garmin are going to let BMW have special screens JUST for them?

Things are getting better; the newer GPS’s from Garmin all seem to have Transreflective displays now, like the Quest, 276c and Streetpilot c320/330

There is certainly a differenc between my nav 2 and mates 2610. The screen texture feels different. Not saying their anti reflective qualities are different cos I haven't tried a 2610.

I haven't got either but !!!

I bought some screen protectors (as Blue Peter might say - "sticky-backed plastic") for my iPAQ and mobile phone/PIM. The material is non-refelctive so it might be worth looking at these as a solution to reducing glare for those with a problem.

Just a thought...

Bob

Re: Re: shiny screens on 2610 vs BMW?

Howard Millichap said:
It's CRAP! It's just BMW TRYING!!! to justify the extra cost of "their" GPSR. Do you really think Garmin are going to let BMW have special screens JUST for them?

Wrong Howard. Garmin modify their 2610 quite significantly for BMW (like the buttons at the side for example), but I still dont know whether the mods includes the screen.

In any case, the person commenting to me was not a BMW employee but a friend who had tried both.

gazza said:
There is certainly a differenc between my nav 2 and mates 2610. The screen texture feels different. Not saying their anti reflective qualities are different cos I haven't tried a 2610.

Next time you and your mate are parked up together - could you have a look and let us know?

Cheers :)

Re: Re: Re: shiny screens on 2610 vs BMW?

birdseye said:
Wrong Howard. Garmin modify their 2610 quite significantly for BMW (like the buttons at the side for example), but I still dont know whether the mods includes the screen.

Well maybe Garmin do. Maybe that's why the BMW one is more expensive because Garmin are ripping BMW off for a huge fee!

Back
Top Bottom