Hello from Newbury

dern

Reaction score
Hello,

Just picked up my first gs today. It was seags's 2005 R1200GS I'm really happy with it. It's pretty different from most of the stuff I've had but once I stopped trying to ride it like my old bike it all started to make sense. After 100 miles of my first ride it was all falling in to place.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark.
Good to see you on here buddy, these guys/girls are a great bunch.

All the best with your 1200GS
Chris

Cheers all. Here she is next to the spurned old bike...

1836787_706417636048416_743248891_o.jpg

...at least I won't have to change my leathers ;)

ooooooo nice RX8. didn't realise you had one of those!

Hello,

Just picked up my first gs today. It was seags's 2005 R1200GS I'm really happy with it. It's pretty different from most of the stuff I've had but once I stopped trying to ride it like my old bike it all started to make sense. After 100 miles of my first ride it was all falling in to place.

Cheers,

Mark

Welcome to UKGSer Mark, nice bike you have there :thumb2

ooooooo nice RX8. didn't realise you had one of those!

Sadly it's my wife's car, not mine. Nice car to drive though.

The commute east along the m4 this morning was a baptism of fire. I'm as rusty as hell at filtering. I'm sure it'll all come back soon enough.

The GS hardly steers at all by leaning on footrests so you have to more deliberately counter steer. But my GSA is THE best bike I've used & that includes a CBR600 (last of the carb models).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

400 miles in since I picked it up on saturday and it's going ok. Different world from the R1 but since I've sold that now there's no going back.

Really like the way it goes down the lanes, really confidence inspiring and far more relaxing than a sports bike. Don't seem to be going an awful lot slower although I was never fast. Don't seem to be holding on with my arse cheeks as much over rough road surfaces and muck and the like. Very comfortable everywhere and very capable on the motorway section of my commute. Happiest at a sensiblish cruising speed that doesn't feel too slow but won't get me banned. Really easy to ride through town. Like it.

The engine is as rough as arseholes compared to my R1 and the blade before it but I guess that's just the nature of it. It pulls pretty well although you have to twist the grip *way* further than I'm used to. It just seems like it's trying to get out sometimes ;). I find the throttle a bit jerky but I've taken the play out of the acc cable which has helped and I've order one of those accelerator modules as I understand it helps too and it's cheap enough to try out. Also I'm getting used to it which helps. I'm also getting used to being back on a bike more and not hanging on so tightly which also helps.

The brakes are taking some getting used to. I think Nick told me that the front brake operates the front and back on a 2005 servo and the rear just the rear... have I remembered that right? I'm not finding that the rear is that good when using it to control the bike when riding slow and it feels completely wrong to be using the front brake for that. I might have a look at the pads and see if they're glazed as I've had that problem in the past.

Will pick up some new tyres when I get time. I quite like the tourances on there but they're squared off which is making filtering on the motorway a bit nerve wracking.

Apart from that all good (well, I do miss radio 4 in the mornings).

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

I notice in the picture it's the GS that has the padlock on it.

That must say something:D

Glad your enjoying the Bike I was surprised by how different the 1150gs handled to my r11rt. Those wide bars are awesome there is a long fast bend on a,motorway slip road near me I never felt fully confident on the rt that I had complete control. On the gs I just went at the bend with complete confidence when I rode it the other day awesome.

If you fancy getting some dirty action Mark then let me know.

Back
Top Bottom