Jawa 350

Oldie

Reaction score
I just collected a 1985 Jawa 350 (638.5) as I like quirkiness, or at least I hope I do :confused:

Began life in 1985 but taken off the road three years (and 4000 miles) later. Stored in a shed until the chap I bought it from rebuilt it and added a further 300 miles. He's moving on to another project.

I had a quick spin on it and it feels all right. Apart from the gear selector doubling up as the kick-start, it can also operate as a clutch, in case your clutch cable breaks. Very quirky. Brakes are very poor, it's a pig to start etc etc but it got me reading up on the Jawa history and that's interesting stuff. I get the impression that these bikes are generally disliked by the majority of motorcyclists but it does make them very inexpensive to buy, even in good condition.

004.jpg

Cool! :beerjug: :thumb2

That looks in great condition....good find. :clap

I've been tempted for a while by one of the new ones that F2 Motorcycles are selling...especially with the optional expansion chambers. :p

Finding one like yours would be much more preferable.

Enjoy !!

It was the F2 site which got me interested in the first place and I really wouldn't mind having a brand spanking new one - disc brakes et al.

Still, decent used bikes can be had for £500 and that makes buying new a bit more difficult. Think that I'll see how I get on with this one :D

Looks like a nice one , and sure to gather more looks than a modern day fourstroke when you park it up.
Im sure someone posted a video on here of MZ and CZ ' in their prime doing the ISDT tpe enduro events.

If the front brake is a twin leading shoe they can be awkward to set up correctly. I had the same problem with my R60 US. Once done they should be pretty good until they get hot and start to fade. The R60 can lock the front wheel.

You can get modern linings for the shoes which will make them more effective.

Great looking bike. Does it smoke much or are you running fully synth stroker oil at a lower dosage?

Smokes a bit at the moment as the guy had mistakenly put some chainsaw oil in and had to clean it out, but not that bad really. It's a while since I had a stroker so just going to buy the best I can get although I haven't checked to see if fully synth is right for running in - back to the classroom :p

Ring a ding ding! Good find. MZ club is pretty active up here and includes a few Jawa bods. Have got an email for the Scottish secretary if you want it.

Ring a ding ding! Good find. MZ club is pretty active up here and includes a few Jawa bods. Have got an email for the Scottish secretary if you want it.
I've subscribed to the Jawachat newsgroup but local contacts possibly better :thumb2 (pm sent)

Nice !! The New 350 Jawa Classic is out , looks nice except the electronic clocks , but it has electric start and is £3500 !! good find .:thumby:

I like them. Saw loads of them out in Cuba, all in varying states of disrepair and mostly with sidecar outfits.

I like them....They're not perfect, but perfection is overrated, especially in the context of motorbikes...There's nowt like a bit of 'quirkyness' in your life......Good stuff......:thumb2

I've had two of them, a solo and a combo, great bikes; simple and reliable. As for being difficult to start, it shouldn't be perhaps you have not learned the knack, if you just turn the ignition on and start kicking it it will not go. I seem to remember you had to put choke on, ignition off kick 3 times, ignition on find the compression spot then kick it and off it would go. I think it was actually described in the manual, that said mine were much earlier models, but not much seems to have changed with them. Nice bike, enjoy.

Is it old school pre-mix or pumped lube?

It's pre-mix, but it is 12V. I think that they upgraded the bikes in '84. I think that the previous owner has messed up the carb by using chainsaw oil which isn't going to mix with the stuff I just put in. Going to have to drain the fuel etc and have a general fettle.

If the fuel was left in the bike for any length of time it will decompose, someone on here said it starts to happen after about three months. It turns into a nasty gelatious mess that isn't easy to clean out. ANd that's without stroker oil being included :)

The CZ 175 had a pumped oil supply so check it out. Starting as said above - 2 kicks and absolutely no more than three then ignition on and swing it over. Choke only of it's really cold.
Don't bother with the auto clutch it's rubbish. The ringa ding overrun makes rev matching awkward without practice.
The chain will be scrap in no time but lasts for ever with a Scot Oiler. Fit the feed to the front sprocket as the back is covered. The chain on an MZ 250 is such a pain to change its worth the cost to avoid doing it so often. The Jawa is likely to be not much different.
These bikes when new would soon blow the engine bearings but that should be sorted now. The factory used steam to pre-heat the engine cases. Bikes driven soon after quickly cleared any water. Export bikes ended up with rusty engine bearings.

The Suzuki GT twins and triples were closely based on the MZ 125 and 250. The Jawa/CZ 175/350 followed the same pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom