Norway

Re: Re: Norway

mrTickle said:
Looks like 3 great biking days so I'm registering for it -cheers for the info :beer:

Looks very nice but I don't think you'll be doing too much :beer: , most likely it'll be :pepsi because :beer: will cost you about £ 600 a pint up in Norway :yikes

Re: Re: Re: Norway

Gecko said:
Looks very nice but I don't think you'll be doing too much :beer: , most likely it'll be :pepsi because :beer: will cost you about £ 600 a pint up in Norway :yikes

You ain't gonna get :pepsi either!
The natives find water in a creek.
But don't be suprised if you meet :drinkinpa , they make something to drink at home! :D

;) Liv.

Gecko said:

....I'll have to take my own supplies then - it's a good job I've got a set of Verns panniers. With their 140l capacity, they should just about see me through 3 days:D ... If I do run out I shall be taking Livs' advice and seeking the local grog. I heard it's blinding :p

Re: Re: Re: Re: Norway

mrTickle said:
....I'll have to take my own supplies then - it's a good job I've got a set of Verns panniers. With their 140l capacity, they should just about see me through 3 days:D ... If I do run out I shall be taking Livs' advice and seeking the local grog. I heard it's blinding :p

Don't worry too much about the beer supply. The local beer is quite OK and you can buy it in any grocery store. Typically sold in 1.5 litre PET-bottels for 5-6 Euro. "One beer a day keeps the doctor away". :beer:

Re: Re: Norway

mrTickle said:
Looks like 3 great biking days so I'm registering for it -cheers for the info :beer:
I have put my name down also, it looks like a FANTASTIC few days.
Has anyone given thought to a travel timetable from UK?
I live in Northwich, Cheshire.
I see two ferry companies Newcastle-Bergen and Newcastle-Kristansand .
Leaving Newcastle on the 14th puts you in Bergen at 17h00 on the 15th, it looks like a 5 hour ride to Jotunhimen making it very tight for the 19h00 dinner.
The afternoon ferry from Newcastle on Mon 12th puts you into Kristiansand on Tue 13th, this gives an extra 2 nights before the event to make the 6 hours ride.
Anyone had any thoughts on this?
Stephen.

Of course you will not miss this years biggest happening.
Come to Norway and do same gravelling.
Both me and my wife signed up for this event.
Looking forward to meet you there.

R1200GS x 2

stephenenglish said:
Leaving Newcastle on the 14th puts you in Bergen at 17h00 on the 15th, it looks like a 5 hour ride to Jotunhimen making it very tight for the 19h00 dinner.

Yeah - 19h00 is a little tight no matter where you come from so we should probably change it to 20h00. Won't help you if you arrive 17h00 at Bergen but still.

I have heard that several participants plan to arrive a day early to get an extra day in the mountains.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Norway

HMR said:

I have heard that several participants plan to arrive a day early to get an extra day in the mountains.

We plan to arrive on wednesday afternoon, so we can have an extra day on these "fine" roads and an extra night:beerjug:

Well done for your bookings. I'm on a fairly free diary so can fall in with whatever travel dates suite you ( definately up for arriving a few days early - it looks great there ). FWIW the event is also open to non BMW's - I recieved this e-mail from the organizer...

For your info - I know that some guys plan to arrive a day early thus being able to spend an extra day on the mountain roads. Don't hesitate to do some propaganda in the UK for this event if you feel for it. Other bikers than BMW owners are also welcome.

I have a purpose with inviting people from the UK. I want to establish contact with people who, sometime in the future, can help us with planning a dirt-road tour in the UK. For next year we discuss going to Estonia or to the Alps but no decisions are made yet.

Bottom line is - the more participants from UK in Jotunheimen the better!

UK-Norway-UK travel agenda stop-overs

After a bit of homework this looks like a possible agenda for me from the UK and back.

Leave Newcastle Monday 12th of Sept at 15h00 arriving in Kristiansand Tuesday 13th Sept 17h00. Moving straight up North with an overnight stop-over arriving at Jotunheimen Wed 14th one day early.

Route back leaving Sun 18th going South West with overnight stop-over and getting ferry from Bergen 17h00 back to Newcastle on Tue 20th 18h00.

It is possible to leave UK two days later and get back one day earlier.. but i don't fancy killing myself.

Ferry company will not take the booking this early.

Anyone know of good stop-over points on-route?

Stephen

...those dates look pretty good for me too. If you let us know when you're making your booking, i'll sort my crossing out at the same time. Cheers, Geoff :beerjug:

Baker boy

We , on tossers on tour are heading for Norway in June. The "planned route is coast to Estonia, but I (we) have chosen to ride North fron Kristanaland and drop down to Oslo. According to previous travellers it is a cracking ride.

Does this help?

Fred

Back
Top Bottom