"Must do" roads in Northern Spain (Pyranees/Picos/Galicia)-Best Maps

Nigel

Reaction score
Anyone recommend on "must do" roads in Northern Spain.
Heading from Santander out to Ourense area then back to Bilbao with time to explore.

Already have a killer list for the Picos having been before.

Also recommends on best Maps-looking for something likely to show minor and back roads.

Searches on here have already turned up some + so good stuff on accomodation but wouln't want to miss anything!

thanks
Nigel

The AS-114 from Cangas de Onis to Panes through the gorge of the Cares River. Or vice versa, equally stunning whichever way you ride it. I had a cup of coffee in Panes and rode straight back to Cangas :aidan

As someone who's half way through a trip from Dieppe to Santander (currently in Rochefort), I'd love some suggestions too. I've picked out a route from Pau in France to San Sebastian, but if anyone has any experience of this area, it'd be great to hear from you.

Thanks.

Rupert.

If you are in the vicinity, want to chill a little, cool shelter, stunning gorge and some twisties, the hu631 north of ainsa--Escalona to Fanlo and beyond--total suprise first time I did it

Bill

We use maps produced by Michelin, there are three covering the Pyrenees in scale 1cm = 1.5km so give great details for those wanting something off the beaten track. The one that covers our part of the Pyrenees is Pyrenees Centrales no. 145 (details here on Amazon), no. 144 covers the area to the west, Pyrenees Occidentales (details here on Amazon) and 146 is Pirineos Orientales/Pirineo Catalan and Andorra (details here on Amazon).

Cheers, Phil
Pyrenees Motorcycle Tours
ride the best roads

As someone who's half way through a trip from Dieppe to Santander (currently in Rochefort), I'd love some suggestions too. I've picked out a route from Pau in France to San Sebastian, but if anyone has any experience of this area, it'd be great to hear from you.

Thanks.

Rupert.

Keep an eye on the weather Rupert, after three weeks of temperatures in the low 20s today that has all changed and its snowing again in the mountains, so be sure to pick one of the lower crossing points of the Pyrenees if possible.

Cheers, Phil
Pyrenees Motorcycle Tours
ride the best roads

The AS14 from Navia to Grandas de Salime is really lovely and from Grandas you can head back up to the coast at Luarca via Pola or continue East on the AS15 and head up towards Gijon. The roads are great, not much travelled and definitely worth a visit.

I got a great deal of pleasure in riding a number of the roads running north and south to the east of the Picos as well as the usual suspect around the Picos..... Never got round to doing my tour report on here (yet) but what a fantastic area to explore!

I crossed the Pyrenees on the NA137 today. I started to get a bit worried when I passed an open ski resort - and the road kept climbing. Fortunately (I should have done a little more research), although the temperature fell below freezing, and visibility dropped to about 20m, there was no ice (or snow) on the road. I rode like an old lady until the temperature got a few degrees above zero.

But on the Spanish side, wow. The roads were stunning. Perfect tarmac and no traffic. I was heading for Pamplona, and I get the impression most of the roads around here are like this. A friendly local took me on a bit of a tour. I'll have to come back here when it's warmer - it's about 2 degrees in Pamplona tonight, and very wet.

For maps take a look at Michelin 141 and 142, they cover most of the area you want but don't go as far west as Ourense. They have a decent scale at 2.5 miles to the inch and are fairly well detailed.

I'm going to the Picos in September and would appreciate a copy of your killer roads list if you don't mind.

Steve.

Head to JACA, I can't remember the road number (think it was N134), but lovely scenery and great twisties ;)

Sitting on the ferry back from Bilbao after a 10 day jaunt to Portugal and the Picos de Europa on the LC.
I agree with thread 4 above.
A superb route in the Picos is from Panes, to Congas de Onis, Riano, Potes then back to Panes. Utterly superb roads and ones you will want to turn around and do it in reverse. We did !!

Travelled down to Portugal and the best road was between Chaves and Braganca on the N103, 40 odd miles of twisties, fast bends and more.
Another superb twisty is the road between Braganca , Mogadouro takes the N221 to Pinhel. The road follows the Portugese and Spanish border, but is very very twisty especially at Terra D' Alva.
1800 European miles with very little traffic, saw 6 other bikers !!!!!! Maybe too early, but a superb trip.
Oh and the Watercooled performed brilliantly. Mates bike lost a windscreen circlip and screw, but I believe its a common fault.

Travelled down to Portugal and the best road was between Chaves and Braganca on the N103, 40 odd miles of twisties, fast bends and more.
Is that the 103 that runs north towards Segirei then east & skirts the southern edge of the Montesinho Park?
As mapsource shows another section of 103 that runs east from Chaves via Rebordelo, then runs north towards the Montesinho Park at sobreiro de cima, before turning right towards Vinhais and onto Braganca

Back
Top Bottom