Worst record for warrantee claims

ELIMINATOR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Servo would not switch off when front lever squeezed gently.
New master cylinder. Oh, the replacement is faulty as well!Another new master cylinder, SORTED.Oops, no, Still not sorted, ah, its the servo pump.SORTED. 6 weeks later, no servo, New servo. SORTED Gear indicator playing up, new one fitted, SORTED. Ignition barrel stiff, booked in for replacement.
Owned the bike since August 04, at 9 months old.
Full credit to SPC who have sorted out the problems without any grief, no credit to BMW for their quality.:(

Still a BMW, no option not to have the ABS was it? Fortunately mine was second hand so I shan't experience the depreciation that you will. [bitch, bitch, bitch]

Update on the warrantee claim. Booked in for a service soon, along with replacement front brake lever, r/hand disc,one disc bolt (split) fork-brace. Apart from the disc bolt everything else is corrosion. This is despite using Scottoil 365, during winter, not to mention taking the 1150 off the road & using the Honda CB1 1989, and recently upgrading the rustproofing to ACF50.
Still love the bike, just a shame Honda don't make it!

I guess BMW most get something right, as their residuals are still good, even with mileages that would render a Jap bike worthless.

But the more you are around BMWs the more you are aware of their seemingly increasing faults?

It appears that even when the dealers play ball, BMW try to wriggle out of any claim!

That said, I do wonder if the Internet gives disproportionate airtime to faults. I mean we don’t often start threads stating another 6ks worth of fault free miles. Yet I'm sure there are plenty that do achieve this.

For my part, I like the bikes. I find them a bit agricultural but nothing I cant live with. However, the servo brakes definitely have issues and border on the down right dangerous. BMW should take their heads out of their arses and sort that issue out before it undermines the good Ewan and Charlie did them.

ELIMINATOR said:
Update on the warrantee claim. Booked in for a service soon, along with replacement front brake lever, r/hand disc,one disc bolt (split) fork-brace. Apart from the disc bolt everything else is corrosion.

The BMW warranty doesn't include items affected by corrosion, but they replace them anyway, even though they could point at the warranty T's & C's and say "Nein". I wish Triumph would take a leaf out of BMW's book. They have just turned down a claim for a number of brackets and other parts on my 2004 Sprint ST where the paint has peeled off, referring me to the small print within the handbook.

Bob

Update,
Both discs were changed! Unfortunately, the split bolt was put back, so I will have to return to SPC sometimg before the warrantee expires in November........................................................................................................................

Is that when it disintergrates?

So you think your experience was bad. My problems with warranty started shortly after picking my 1200 . A dozy German had put the brake pads in the wrong way . The first time I used them, the metal backing welded itself to the discs and shot me through the screen, ripping my balls off on the touratech gps bracket which I had them fit.
The screen and the brakes were replaced under warranty.

After leaving hospital, I went to pick the now repaired bike up from the shop.
All went well until oil from the leaking final drive unit got onto the tyre while I was negotiating a particularly dangerous right hander. Whilst sliding towards the ravine with the bike behind me, I noticed a discoloured patch of paint on the underside of the gearbox. I thought, I better remember to mention that while its in having the final drive repaired. Then It all went black.

After leaving hospital, I went to pick up the now repaired bike from the shop.
I checked under the gearbox and it had been repaired under warranty, along with the final drive and parts damaged by the incident.
All went well until I was attempting to drive away from the shop. A anomoly with the Canbus wiring system had alted the ignition timing and the engine had started up in reverse. I had no idea .
Trying to impress the lovely sales girl, I gave it a handfull and promptly shot off in reverse, Through the plate glass windows, severing several important arteries in the process.
The wiring was repaired under warranty, along with several parts damaged by the glass and the fire that ensued when the bike hit a 7 series cabrilolet.

The bike looked as good as ever.
All went well until, whilst going over the Tay bridge, a car suddenly braked to avoid an off route flying fish. With my keen reactions, I hauled on the brakes, confident that they were state of the art servo assisted abs equipped super brakes, or so I thought. Somehow they didnt work and using the aforementioned reactions, I countersteered to the left, somehow clearing the guard rail and plummeting into the sea below.
I looked up and could see the bikes front wheel jammed in the railings. I thought .... should have really went for spokes.

The bike looked resplendent, as I had phoned from the hospital and suggested that since the wheels were damaged, they could be replaced by spoked ones.
And bugger me, they did it. Although they did charge me a nominal amount.
I drove home without incident.

Despite these small problems, I still love it and its been the best bike Ive ever had.
I cannot abide these people who complain about the slightest fault.
Its a new design and is bound to have teething troubles.

richie said:
Only joking Eliminator, I have an old 1100 with a knackered clutch..

Great bike though, the best I've ever had...

Happy riding...

I'm not surprised it's knackered, knowing the abuse it was getting from Fergus last week!!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom