Alternatives to Metzeler Tourance???

Deletedmemberjdcxxx

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the market for some new rubber and my first thought was a set of Tourances. I like them aesthetically and have heard many a good review which gives me a lot of confidence. I may or may not make it off road and want the option just in case.

Before I go for it are there any good alternatives out there that I haven't heard of? I want a bit of off road potential so maybe 85% / 15%

Any advice gratefully received, particularly if you can point me in the right direction near home for cheap fitting.

Cheers,

John.

Just fit Tourance (originals) - you won't outride them, and the rear will last for 6,000 miles.

Al

Hi All,

I'm in the market for some new rubber and my first thought was a set of Tourances. I like them aesthetically and have heard many a good review which gives me a lot of confidence. I may or may not make it off road and want the option just in case.

Before I go for it are there any good alternatives out there that I haven't heard of? I want a bit of off road potential so maybe 85% / 15%

Any advice gratefully received, particularly if you can point me in the right direction near home for cheap fitting.

Cheers,

John.
heidenue k60 scouts get good reports.
i had a good ride on a bike fitted with some today and was quite impressed.
good levels of grip,a little noise and vibration.
can,t comment on wet road performance.
i can supply and fit any brand you want.
or will fit your supplied tyres if i cannot price match.
mike

mike

Wet weather performance is pretty good on the K60's and they will be really good for what the OP wants. Wear is fantastic and you should get 10,000 miles per set.

mike

Thanks Mike, do you offer a ride in ride out service? I'm going to have a shop around for Tourances or an alternative and will call over one weekend.

Cheers,

John.

ride in ride out no prob.
when you have decided which brand you want have a shop round for best price,
if i can match the price i can order for next day.
if i cannot match or beat it order your tyres of the tinternet and i will mount/balance them for you:thumby:

Wet weather performance is pretty good on the K60's and they will be really good for what the OP wants. Wear is fantastic and you should get 10,000 miles per set.

Spoke to Vern yesterday who has the K60 rear, the solid band in the centre of the tyre leaves nowhere for water to go and it's squared off quickly and he hates it, saying that I may fit some next time.:beerjug:

The real alternative to Tourance are Conti Trail Attacks which I've been using for a couple years, great grip but never had so many punctures and the rear sidewalls are cracked all the way round on both sides so won't be using them again.

I don't think there really are alternatives to Tourances. Originals are superb and I won't be changing to anything else :aidan

ride in ride out no prob.
when you have decided which brand you want have a shop round for best price,
if i can match the price i can order for next day.
if i cannot match or beat it order your tyres of the tinternet and i will mount/balance them for you:thumby:

Hi Mike,

Most of the internet prices for Tourances seem to come out at around £150 supply only. How does this compare to your ride in /out fitted balanced prices?

Cheers,

John.

I have no experience of them but have heard that the older design tourances are better than the new ones (Don't have anything to back this up though)

Mitas E-08 available from http://www.mitas.co.uk/

pro24161.jpg

Karoo 3

I have the Karoo 3 and have done circa 4k on the rear and am about to change. If I was only doing road I'd probably get another 1k out of it but want to hit some lanes this weekend.

I think they came in well under £200 a pair and have found them a good in between Tourance TKC alternative.

Only thing I'm not a fan of is the loud whir that sounds like old Military Landrover tyres when you go over 70mph.

Out of interest, how do you tell the difference between old and new Tourances? Are the sidewalls marked as such?

Quite a few are free postage. I don't mind if your price is a bit higher Mike, your reputation on this site is tip top and that counts for a lot.

I have the Karoo 3 and have done circa 4k on the rear and am about to change. If I was only doing road I'd probably get another 1k out of it but want to hit some lanes this weekend. I think they came in well under £200 a pair and have found them a good in between Tourance TKC alternative. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the loud whir that sounds like old Military Landrover tyres when you go over 70mph.

Ah, I was going to suggest these. Not that I've used them, but the guy on the Metzeler stand at the Ace Overland Day suggested they were the best alternative for the Tourance, see pics at http://www.metzeler.com/site/uk/products/tyres-catalogue.html

The Tourance Next seems a poor choice.

There's quite a few on that link, was there one in particular?

I'm pretty much decided on original Tourances based on the site feedback

My last three tyre changes have seen me go from Tourance's to EXP's to NEXT's. My next change will be back to Tourance's, which I believe are the best all-rounder. The EXP,s were nice and inspired confidence, - but just didn't give the mileage. As for the NEXT's, - well, I just can't seem to get on with them and the mileage is even less than the EXP's - they have plenty of cornering grip both wet & dry but they seem very skittish and want to follow every crack in the road.

Back
Top Bottom