Advice on Trip to Argentina & Uruguay

Slick Nick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Four mature layabout Tossers are interested in a trip to Argentina and Uruguay next November.
We have a fortnight to spend there and our ideal itinerary would be something like the plan below..........
Arrive in BA and mooch around for two days on foot.
Then rent bikes and head for a scenic area (Bariloche ?) and tour around each day preferably staying at a central location ie not necessarily having to pack up and move on each morning.
After five days or so head back to BA and drop the bikes (not literally)
Then head for Montevideo either flying or in a rented car and spend a few days there then head towards Punta del Este for a bit of fun on the beach.
We want a fun holiday not an epic trek and would welcome any helpful suggestions probably from folk who live there or are familiar with these locations.
Thanks,
Slick Nick
Dublin.

Hmmmm have you done your research and checked distances? SA is a big continent! East coast (BA etc) is relatively boring for bikers but lots of tourist stuff. Montevideo is just over river Plate from BA so easiest route is take the ferry! (check out the anchor of Graf Spey in Montevideo square) If you fly into Santiago on West coast (Chile) better biking country (The Andes define what mountains should be!) and you will be able to hire bikes and find "fun" on that side. Haven't checked but it would take at least 5 days BA/ Barilochie/ BA so you won't have much time to enjoy the fantastic area round Bariloche! If you can make it. come up to Horizons Unlimited meeting in Enniskillen July 2014 and you will get lots of useful advice and meet people who have been through South America and can point you in the right direction.

Sounds fab but I agree with eclectic about time and distances. I had a 3 weeks holiday in Argentina a few years ago & although I didn't hire a bike, I occasionally hired a car or used public transport. Distances are huge.
I flew directly to Bariloche from BA & I'm sure that was 2-3 hour flight - worth the trip but perhaps not doable by bike in your time slot.
Then hired a car to explore that area and travelled further south too. The plains in southern Argentina can be extremely windy & there wasn't much to look at except flamingos and the occasional Guanacos.

Reckon you could have a great 2 weeks just riding around the north-eastern tip & into Uruguay. Is Iguazu falls on your to-do list? Worth visiting from the Brazilian side as well as the Argentinian side :)

Have a look on the Horizons web site for further SA travel information
Or / and as suggested, pop along to one of their meetings :)

Back
Top Bottom