Autocom Woes

MikeP

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Pro 7. 04 Adventure.

The autocom is hard wired. Mounted under the seat near the fuse box.

I only use it for music and Nav II.

I noticed that the other day the volume was getting lower and lower during a longish trip.

Today, plugged in and as the bike was going through self-diagnosis there were all sorts of whirring sounds in the ear-pieces that matched the self-diagnosis warning lights cycle.

Had no music plugged in but pressed the audio button on the Nav II. No sound.

With the engine running no further sounds of any kind through the ear-pieces.

Switched off, unlpugged, plugged back in, repeat start up, same thing!

Before I start pulling it all out and checking things more closely, has anyone experienced anything similar?

Is there someting on the Nav II that'll kill the sound.....even accidentally?

The odd thing here is the gradual decrease in volume.....ummm??

Suggest a call to Autocom, they'll sort it over the phone if they can....

CC

:cool:

Re: Re: Autocom Woes

Greg Masters said:
Where have you taken the power supply from?

:confused:

Greg

Horn fuse. It's only live when ignition is on.

coolcarbon said:
Is there someting on the Nav II that'll kill the sound.....even accidentally?

The odd thing here is the gradual decrease in volume.....ummm??

Suggest a call to Autocom, they'll sort it over the phone if they can....

CC

:cool:

No. You have to find the vol control on the menu and then use touch to slide the vol control down.

When I first used the Pro 7, it was with the PP3 battery before I got around to hard wiring. When the unit got cold (really cold) the vol dropped away. Once the bike was stopped for a short while the vol would start at normal but as the cold took effect it would reduce the out-put. It was cold when I noticed the gradual loss of volume but today is pretty mild! :confused:

I'll give Autocom a call Monday if no-one can shed light before then!

Exactly the same

I have the same problem and have worked on it all afternoon to no avail.

Autocom are at the show up the road so I might see them on Monday.

Any news on yours?

Nick

Re: Exactly the same

Commuter said:
I have the same problem and have worked on it all afternoon to no avail.

Autocom are at the show up the road so I might see them on Monday.

Any news on yours?

Nick

Nick,

Not tried anything yet, I thought I'd see what the collective wisdom here is before I start poking my circuit tester in there!

Wonder if there's a duff batch?

I'd be grateful, if you do have a chance to speak to them, you'd mention my problem too!

I'll certainly be ringing them at some stage.

Mike.

Have a similar problem on my 2610 on a regular basis. Traced mine to the audio plug that goes into the bottom of the nav2. Seems mine works a bit loose then all I hear is the brake servo's running when the brakes are applied. Try wiggling it about while everything is switched on. First noticed it when the screen flashed up a change of direction but no audio. Unplugged the lead plugged it back in and it worked. Now I have an elastic cord holding it in place.

Gazza,

Thanks. I'll give it a try in the morning.

Mike.

Sorted!

Spoke with Autocom engineer, he couldn't really advise other than test all cables and return it to them if nothing solved the problem.

I completely replaced all my own connections, making sure that they were good. Same problem.

I was about to ship the Pro 7 to Autocom and then thought maybe it's the headset.

This was the last thing I thought it could be.

I went to Ocean BMW (Plymouth) and borrowed their demo headset. Plugged that in and bingo all ok.

Bill (after-sales manager and top bloke) said that it's a service part, it's the plug-in lead plus connectors for the ear pieces and mic, he handed me one from stores! No charge!!!

Took me a while but all's well that ends well!:D

Glad to hear all is better - could I make a cheeky request? If you have a digital camera could you please post a picture of your autcom unit in situ - I know this is a common thread wpeople ondering where other people manage to stick autocoms but it isn't always clear where there is space on the ADV - aprt from some people suing the fuse box (and mine is quite full with extra relays etc).

If you can't post then no worries, I will continue to use my imagination!

Cheers,

mark

Don't worry.....Greg's doing a faq on Autocoms and their wiring, aren't you Greg ;)

':D

Mark,

I've got to re-cable tie everthing back in place so I'll take some piccies and post them here for you.

Mike.

For Markyp

Picture shows where I have my Autocom. It's held in place by velcro strips.

The tool roll has to be carried elsewhere.

I used spade connectors to 'remote' the horn fuse. This allows the Autocom in-line fuse to be added without cutting into any main wiring.

If you need any further explanation, PM me.

Mike.

Attachments

• autocom 2.jpg
    autocom 2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 356
MikeP said:
Picture shows where I have my Autocom. It's held in place by velcro strips.

The tool roll has to be carried elsewhere.

I used spade connectors to 'remote' the horn fuse. This allows the Autocom in-line fuse to be added without cutting into any main wiring.

If you need any further explanation, PM me.

Mike.

I know this an old thread, but, It looks to me that you've found a way to power the autocom but have removed the fuse from the horn. In the image, both sides of the horn circuit are in the same leg of the fuse.

Markblox said:
I know this an old thread, but, It looks to me that you've found a way to power the autocom but have removed the fuse from the horn. In the image, both sides of the horn circuit are in the same leg of the fuse.
It looks that way but they are to each spade of the fuse, The red wire to the in-line fuse is doubled-up with one from the original fuse location.

The only real advantages of this set-up are that it saves trying to get the fuse box out and removing the autocom is easy leaving no chopping about of wires etc.

Back
Top Bottom