'Doh' Question on deleting bits of routes in Basecamp

Swissdoc

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sorry about this and before you (well, specifically you Wapping) hang your head and sigh... can I ask a stupid question?

So I have created a route in Basecamp but the wretched software has created several unwanted loops that I can't seem to delete. For example it takes me to a roundabout, back round and up a cul-de-sac before rejoining the main route. When I use the selector tool and the option button to move (preferably remove) this loop it just makes matters worse.

So my question is how to remove/delete unwanted 'bits' of routes? There must be an easy way.

...oh the shame of having to ask such a simple question... sorry...

Are you perhaps using the software's 'Motorcycling' mode?

If so, it WIL try to route you down every single ridiculous small road it can find.

Switch it off or change its settings. See other thread on how to to do this and / or on the importance of matching the preferences set on your computer to the preferences set on your GPS device.

Another possibility: Have you perhaps clicked (laid a waypoint or shaping point) at the entrance to a small street or on one exit of a roundabout out of place? If so, the software WILL try to route you that way. Check by zooming in.

There could be a few reasons why you are having problems. First, check to see if you are using motorcycle mode - if so, select car and life will get a lot easier and you can still ride the roads you want by using shaping points. Next, check your Preference settings - if you have said that you don't want to ride motorways or A roads, then Basecamp will attempt to get you off them at every opportunity! The most common problem is dropping the waypoint off of the actual road - using a village name as a waypoint will usually result in you visiting the centre of the village before redoing your route! Use the magnify tool to make sure that your waypoints and shaping points are on the right road - right carriageway for dual carriageways! - and life will get easier. I have a found the motorcycle mode to be of little use so far for long routes - you end up having to shape so many points that it becomes a pain. I have just finished building 7 routes for a trip to,Spain and had all the problems you describe - take your time and place the points carefully. Finally, make sure that the Preferences on your GPS are set to be as close to the Basecamp preferences as possible - this will help prevent re calculations once you load the route on the day you will be riding. Always take a map!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Firstly 'normalise' your Basecamp settings and those on your Zumo. This makes the Basecamp M/C profile the same as the car profile and neutralises the settings in the M/C profile on the sat nav. When you put a Zumo 660 into the the M/C cradle it will automatically switch to the M/C profile.

The going up a cul-de-sac bit is something I wouldn't expect unless you've dropped a routing node on it or somewhere off the road and the end of the cul-de-sac is as close as you can get to it without going off road. To check all your routing nodes and way-points along a route do the following in Basecamp:

1. Double click on the route in the left-hand pane, this will open a dialogue with a list of all points on your route.
  2. At the bottom left hand corner of this dialogue ensure that 'centre map' is selected. 'More info' expands the details for each point.
  3. Clicking each point of the route within this dialogue will zoom the underlying map to that point. A dual screen set-up really helps here but it is doable on a single screen but you might need to move the dialogue around a little.
  4. You can
then use the usual routing tools in the toolbar to make any fine adjustments to your route.

I do the above as a matter of course on all of my routes having done my initial rough planning at a 'higher altitude'. It's a quick process, even quicker if you use the tool keyboard short-cuts.

These are for PC, not sure if the Mac version of Basecamp use the same. The map needs to be selected for these to work (clicking once on the map does this).

i: Insert point into route
s: Select tool
h: Hand tool - not only useful for dragging the map but a wheel mouse will also zoom the map view in and out
e: Erase tool
z: Zoom tool - either wheel mouse or + and - keys (for me the hand tool works better and makes this redundant)​

There are others but those are the ones I use the most.

Well, thank you all very much - extremely helpful.

I'll get to it...

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Let us know what you do to resolve your problem in the end, please.

Really appreciate the advice. Reckless had it in the end... I had already changed the preferences on the motorcycle, as per previous posts (see? I do read somethings first!) but the naughty French had sneaked in a bit of dual carriageway (or a very wide road) and I had placed a little black dot on the opposite carriageway. Base camp then had me going around the next roundabout, back on my track then up a side-road to do a u-turn. I just hadn't zoomed in enough. Once I had repositioned the black dot on my side of the road (even if it is the wrong side, being in France) it did what it was supposed to do and the loop back on myself was resolved.

Thanks again...:beerjug:

Chris

Just a quick one... is there an 'erase' tool on the Mac version of Basecamp? If so... where?

Back
Top Bottom