Gear indicator issue

bushboy

Reaction score
Right, it all started the othe day on a ride on a wet and cold sunday.

Into gear then off. All well then noticed the indicator told me I was in 0 gear when I was in second. It then popped into tell me I was in 2nd when I was in third. This went on for a while then cleared and was fine. Rest of day good except for a little indicator issue again. OK in 1,4,5,6 but 2nd and 3rd sem to have the issue of telling me I am in 0 gear. Any ideas.
Thought battery charge might be issue as can be with ABS and some warning light issues. Seems to come and go.

Me thinks maybe switch in Gbox or some other nasty ££ bit I cant get to with out tool number 1234 from BMW for a £1 fix.

Any ideas

bushboy said:
Right, it all started the othe day on a ride on a wet and cold sunday.

Into gear then off. All well then noticed the indicator told me I was in 0 gear when I was in second. It then popped into tell me I was in 2nd when I was in third. This went on for a while then cleared and was fine. Rest of day good except for a little indicator issue again. OK in 1,4,5,6 but 2nd and 3rd sem to have the issue of telling me I am in 0 gear. Any ideas.
Thought battery charge might be issue as can be with ABS and some warning light issues. Seems to come and go.

Me thinks maybe switch in Gbox or some other nasty ££ bit I cant get to with out tool number 1234 from BMW for a £1 fix.

Any ideas

if the bike is under warranty get the stealers to change it - it's a £35 part, and takes around 30mins to do, if not under warranty it may dry out, but I have found that if you use the bike in deep water :D ie deeper than the bevel drive, the switch will have a relativley short life span [ mine is currently off the bike and hanging over a radiator to dry out for a few days] if ya want a hand doing the switch yerself gimmi a call [as I have the knack now!]

Re: Re: Gear indicator issue

Chris G said:
[as I have the knack now!] [/B]

Chris,

I have the usual gear indicator sensor problem on my '94 1100 and am happy to remove the sensor myself. However, before I attempt this for the first time, I would prefer not to reinvent the wheel, shedding blood, sweat, and tears in the process. Therefore, could you kindly provide me with "the knack". Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Cheers, Hambo

Leave it or replace it

Agree with Chris G:
I had the same problem on my 1150 in December and pulled the cover off the switch to try and sort it out. Exhaust off, lots of fingertip fiddling about, tiny little contacts and springs rolling about on the garage floor. Still didn't work and probably made the switch seal even less water resistant. I would suggest either replace the switch entirely (I think Steptoe has a 2nd hand one if you don't want to buy new) or leave it alone 'til warmer weather arrives and see if it sorts itself out.
Personally, I got fed up with the random thing and just taped over the display - I'll have another look in the Spring!!
HTH
BLL

Re: Re: Re: Gear indicator issue

Hambo said:
Chris,

I have the usual gear indicator sensor problem on my '94 1100 and am happy to remove the sensor myself. However, before I attempt this for the first time, I would prefer not to reinvent the wheel, shedding blood, sweat, and tears in the process. Therefore, could you kindly provide me with "the knack". Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Cheers, Hambo

it goes alittle like this on the 1150, 1100 not so sure

buy a new switch [£35 or cheaper]

bike on main stand

end can off

tank off

snip cable ties holding connector for lamda probe [near alternator on rhs frame spar], undo connector and tyraps to allow more slack cable to the bottom of the bike

locate connector for gear indicator [near alternator on/under lhs frame spar, undo connector and tyraps to allow more slack cable to the bottom of the bike

loosen clamps for cat convertor and slide cat back so that it drops down carefull not to shag the lamda probe as I fink they are delicate

starter motor cover off

now you can reach the gear indicator switch located just in front of the swing arm, it is a blackrubber covered lump mounted vertically on the back of the gearbox

using a small tyrap loop the "loop" of the tyrap around the shiney silver coloured prongs that are securing the switch to the bike, pull the tyrap tight so that the prongs are now around 5mm apart

now grap the switch and wiggle it loose

there, switch removed, what you do with it now is up to you, but I found that opening it up comprimised the weatherproofness

refitting is reverse of above, make sure you get the tyraps on so that loom you have disturbed is good and snug, otherwise you may end up with wires rubbing the inside of the tank and god knows what

Back
Top Bottom