Another Flat Battery Question

Grumpy Lee

Ex Supported Member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Due to me being stupid (and not for the first time - should have learnt my lesson then, but I did the same thing again) I have managed to flatten the battery on the GS.

My question is; after I jump start it, to get a reasonable charge back into the battery how long a run do I need to take the it on, and what is the optimum rev range?

Thanking you lot in advance for the 2 A's (Advice & Abuse) :D :D :D

Grumpy "Dumbo" Lee

One A

14,761 miles @ constant 8500rpm :eek:

my normal rule of thumb is at least 20mins at anything over 2000rpm but I'm sure everyones got a different version:eek:

OK, current situation.

Managed to get the bike started last Thursday and went for a 100mile 1 3/4 hr ride, came back and put bike away (I know I should have checked if enough "go" to turn bike over - but had to rush off to work)

Went out to garage this morning, flat as the proverbial pancake so I've taken the battery off. Couple of cells quite low on fluid (don't you just hate these high/low marks for the level which are very plainly seen - but you can't actually see through the opaque plastic to see the fluid), voltmeter shows 6.5V, so I've put it on charge.

Is this battery going to be OK, or is it dying (it was fitted new last July)? Will the fact that I let it get very flat in the first place have an adverse effect on it?

Answers as usual please

Lee

A trickle charger may not recover the battery fully. If you are using an Optimate or similar then the battery should recover fine.

As the battery is fairly new and the water level was low on 2 cells I'd want to check out the charging system to make sure the battery is not being "cooked".

Search the forum as there are links to diagnostic procedures.

What is the make of battery - is it chinese/tiawan/korean.

Originally posted by Grumpy Lee
voltmeter shows 6.5V, so I've put it on charge.

Is this battery going to be OK,

6.5 volts ... I'd be getting a new battery!!! Would not trust that one. If your always going to be within RAC range then ok, but for me I need reliablity.

Why is your battrey discharging with the bike stopped? Should last a few weeks without a tender!

Either it is dischartging internally - water level too low - see above post re "cooking the battery" or it is disscharging into the bike.

Measure the discharge current from the battery to the bike when you have stopped - key out. If it is more than a few milliamps then you have a problem on the bike somewheres.

You need to fix the problem .. not just buy a new battery and have that fail too.

Frank Warner said:
Why is your battrey discharging with the bike stopped? Should last a few weeks without a tender!

Answer to that one quite simple really (like what I was :( ), if you leave the light switched on in the sidecar boot for 3 to 4 days then the battery will get a tad flat.

Does not explain why the electrolyte level was down though. Looks like I'll be checking the charging rate the next time I manage to get it started.

charge it up.

check acid in each cell with a hydrometer. any duff cells, buy a new battery.

check for discharge when fitted with everything turned off. simple test: see if it sparks when you connect it.

check charge rate on the bike.

if you need a multimeter or hydrometer, PM me i'm only round the corner :)

27 hour trickle charged, check voltage, 8.6V, methinks battery well and truly knackered.

Now, do I get similar and have to prat about getting tank off to do electrolyte levels, or get a gel, or absorbed thingy type?

Will that mean less maintenance?

Grumpy Lee said:
27 hour trickle charged, check voltage, 8.6V, methinks battery well and truly knackered.

Now, do I get similar and have to prat about getting tank off to do electrolyte levels, or get a gel, or absorbed thingy type?

Will that mean less maintenance?

Ive just fitted an absorbed thingy type, but you have to prat about with battery terminals, as you are hopefully less likely to turn your bike on it's side I would go for a standard battery.

My standard has lasted for 5 years with no problems and had to top it up a couple of times. Only changed to avoid future probs.

Tim

Anybody tried the Westco (AGM type) @£62 from motorbikebatteries.co.uk ?

I've got a hawker Odessy - for over 4 years now. Flattened once for some time (Broken leg and collar bone and faulty indicator relay discharged battery) . Also flattened enough overnight not to start the next day (left key in). Battery is still running fine. That is a 680 type I think.
So impressed wiuth it I bought another one - the 550 type - smaller and lighter for the K75G/S. That one would be over a year old now.

Grumpy Lee said:

No. Wish I had though as it has the proper terminals and is a lot cheaper than the Hawker.

A mate just ordered a battery for his blingmobile[1] from them. Arrived the next day, so their service seems tip top.

[1] Goldwing

Grumpy Lee said:

Ordered one yesterday (Tuesday) at 1400hrs arrived today (Wednesday) at 1000hrs, that's pretty impressive (if you buy a battery from them, you can also buy an Optimate 3 for £30)

So now giving battery a good Optimating ready to fit to bike, then check bike wiring & bike charging rate at weekend.

Mike O said:
...or fit a BMW gel battery - straight swap - £81.

Mike:)

*chokes*

Gavin....could you arrange to have that defib unit sent down please!!!

81 quid for a poxy battery...ffs......

Reeeeeedickularse.
:mad: :mad:

Back
Top Bottom