What're the most probable things to brake down on a long journey?

Tsiklonaut

GS pervert
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going for a month long trip to third world. What do you think would be the most probable things to brake down on R1100GS '98? I currenlty have 29kkm on the clock.

I though:

Speedo cable
Throttle and clutch cables
Fuel pump
Some signal lamp or main beam
?

Can take spare cables with me, but is it possible to route the gas to make the bike working w/o the fuel pump - i.e. ride on full tank, so it presses the gas down spontaneusly?

Mo

arse muscles

neck muscles

knee joints

wallet muscles

:D

tyre punctures
throttle/clutch cable
fuel injection needs a pump - no bypass.

motomartin said:
tyre punctures
throttle/clutch cable
fuel injection needs a pump - no bypass.

Yea, most probable is the moneywallet muscle brakedown :D

Tyre puncture isn't the issue as far as you got repairing kit with you. Hmm... Makes me think should i buy manual pump with pressure meter, those gas ballons with repairing kit doesn't seem to be that promising or what, they'll leave tyres half-flat(?)

How much one BM fuelpump costs approximately, btw? (maybe taking a spare one with me is an idea(?) + spare fuel filter)

Mo

The only thing that has brought my bike to a complete halt was the Hall Effect Sensor. This can also cost a lot of money. Over £100.00 from BMW Dealer in the UK. If you look at Ebbo's site you will find details of what it is and how you can repair it.

Chris

Any of the bits that break when you drop it cos it`s sooo heavy with all the junk you`ve loaded on it that you`ll never use throughout your entire trip :D Keep it light eh :thumb

It`ll be fine chap, you must have watched LWR by now. 19,000mls some on the worst terrain possible with way to much stuff and only a couple of serious breakages.

Tough it is.

Good luck, post some pics for us on route. :moped:

Thanks for the input, guys.

But i didn't find any Hall Eff Sensor repairing tips on that page(!?) :confused:

Mike O - i'll check the bearings, also paralever's bearings check would be good idea - they collect some dirt in time i've heard.

Mo

May be worth taking a few spare spokes if you are going anywhere rough. Also an oil sight glass cause if that pops a leak you are in trouble. All cheap and very light weight items to carry .

schnauzer said:
brake and clutch levers?

Hmm... That's very basic and bombproof stuff - no worries, except braking levelers on falling. But then replace them with the ones on moped's :) Duct tape comes in hand there too.

What moves but shouldn't - Duct tape.
What gots stuck but should move - WD-40

The 2 most needed tools. Leave the rest to home.

:D

Mo

Youp, works!

Thanks!

Margus

themadprofessor said:
You need to follow the link on the left labelled "Ignition Sensor repair" - I cannot give you the link as it is in a frame.

I have a detailed Acrobat document that shows in great detail how to test and repair the HES (ignition sensor) If you send me an email with your email address in it I will send it to you. I warn you it is about 1.5 Megs in size !!

Email cnr*at*themadprofessor.net if you want a copy.

Just found the orignal website which belongs to some guy called
Dana Hager

Chris

Hi Mo

The thing is mate you could have a brand new 1200 and something could go wrong and you can't carry a spare for everything.You have the same bike and milage as mine when i took it to Morocco last April.It wasn't untill Switzerland some 2500km after leaving Morocco that i noticed 3 spokes broken.Which i am sure went in Morocco on the rough stuff.This is what wiped out the ABS sensor I'm sure.
There can only be a few things that will stop you in your tracks,most things like leaky fork seals can wait.
Any problems Mo get in touch and i could arrange spares to be sent out to the nearest major city from UK if it is difficult doing it via Estonia.

Have Fun !

Simon

lukate said:
Any of the bits that break when you drop it cos it`s sooo heavy with all the junk you`ve loaded on it that you`ll never use throughout your entire trip :D Keep it light eh :thumb

I think it'll be very limit to gross over weight - me, girlfriend, stuff for two and maybe picking up some additional muslim hitchiking on the road, hehehe :D

It`ll be fine chap, you must have watched LWR by now. 19,000mls some on the worst terrain possible with way to much stuff and only a couple of serious breakages.

Tough it is.

Haven't watched them, except a few shots in their web. Hmm... As far as i'm concerned those dudes did the BEST terrains possible. They're too pussys to do real GS terrains :p I'm not surprised if they hadn't enough power in hands to rise the bike back up alone (addtional TV and photo team to help, you know). Not jelous though, i'd expect dedicated photo team to do better job :D

Good luck, post some pics for us on route. :moped:

I'll give it a try. But dunno how possible it is to get internet access, and i don't expect much too...

Simon,

yep, if something goes wrong then only way to get spares fast is via German BMW (that only few speak english unfortunately) or UK and use DHL, Fedex or similar for fast transportation.

Plan for the trip is in the middle of august, so I'll have full summer to test my GS whitch is my only transportation at this time anyway.

I'll take the Haynes manual with me too - at least someting interesting to read in the tent in the evenings. ;)

Thanks, Margus

sigood said:
Hi Mo

The thing is mate you could have a brand new 1200 and something could go wrong and you can't carry a spare for everything.You have the same bike and milage as mine when i took it to Morocco last April.It wasn't untill Switzerland some 2500km after leaving Morocco that i noticed 3 spokes broken.Which i am sure went in Morocco on the rough stuff.This is what wiped out the ABS sensor I'm sure.
There can only be a few things that will stop you in your tracks,most things like leaky fork seals can wait.
Any problems Mo get in touch and i could arrange spares to be sent out to the nearest major city from UK if it is difficult doing it via Estonia.

Have Fun !

Simon

I would fold up a spare alternator belt and stick it under the tank somewhere. If that goes you pretty stuck dude. At the end you can take a whole bike as extras but think in terms of what would stop the journey in it's tracks. I.e. bike falls over and the TPS breaks off :eek:
Now there is £75 I would of rather had spare in my panniers :thumb

Two pack epoxy to fill or cover holes in cylinder head covers is also good to have.

Back
Top Bottom