Michelin macadam - what tyres do you use?

sparkplug

Landlord
Mod Squad
Solutions
Reaction score
second from the left, third from the right
Dad always swore by the Michelin macadams for his K100RT.

When he last had it serviced they put something else on (don't remember what) which he didn't like.

That was a few years ago now and the tyres have perished through standing flat. The bike is mine now, so I thought I'd put some macadams on - but it looks like they stopped making them? :(

At the risk of it being a "what oil" thread, I wondered what people are using on their Ks

It's not going to get a lot of use but I do plan to do the occasional European trip on it and commute to work on sunny days

Tyres

Either Michelin Pilot Road 2 or Bridgestone BT-023 would be my recommendation.

I actually use the above Michelin (front) and an Avon Azaro (rear) on my k1100lt.

Very very happy - wet or dry - good grip and give plenty of confidence. Did around 1800 miles on a Spanish tour last year - some pics on website link below - very happy with them and all ready for this season with them!
:beerjug:

It might be worth looking at the Dunlop Road Smart tyres as recommended by many others. I'm currently running on Avon Storm Ultra II's and getting about 10,000m from them, with good all round performance. It might be worth waiting for the new Avon Storm XM which are being rolled out at the moment in various sizes.
I would also recommend Universal Tyres for competitive prices fitted normally matching many e-blag prices.
:rob

I've had Roadsmarts before on my K1100RS, now fitted with PR3's. Both are great for my needs but big mileage isn't one of them as I get about 5K from a rear.

I've had Roadsmarts before on my K1100RS, now fitted with PR3's. Both are great for my needs but big mileage isn't one of them as I get about 5K from a rear.
The K100 has narrower wheels and won't take radials.

Best bias-belted I've found for K100/K75 is Pirelli Sport Demon.

I remember buying a '98 Bandit 1200 with Macadams, and they were a truly dreadful tyre.

Twitchy in the dry, downright awful in the wet, I recall they were quickly swapped for 020's which were newly launched back then.

I like Bridgestones, and the BT045 is a good all round tyre for older models.

Back
Top Bottom