Basecamp help Please?

jimbo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
the 350LM is my 3rd Garmin and unless I can get the hang of basecamp my last.

Can anybody help with
1 the map set can only be seen when I have my GPS plugged in, so I cant do a post code search etc unless the GPs is on the end of cable
can I really not install the maps on my PC?

2 Town search - I don't seem to be able to. I want to go to Swaffham, but the search will only give me Swaffham Road, which although close isn't in Swaffham .
Searching for Epsom gives me a list of roads with the word "Epsom" in it.

3 Am I right in thinking I can't revert of Mapsource (cant access the maps or send to device)

as a daily use of PCs and a ex-computer programmer Basecamp is one of the worst products I've used - I HATE IT :barf

You will need to choose reinstall maps with Garmin Express look for the advanced button this will give you the option to download it to your PC.

When searching for a city add the county as well, seems to do a better search.

I tried something radical. I phoned Garmin!
yes Garmin Express and advanced option for maps.

a town or city is considered a point of interest.....

I still don't like it though

Bare with, as they say. It will all make sense in the end.

Seriously, it is a very good product.... It just takes a while to get used to it.

I can't agree that Basecamp is a good product. Possible if I were to devote huge amounts of time to it I might find it useful but why should I. Had they developed Mapsource rather than trying to re invent the wheel we might now have a really useful mapping tool. For the moment it does nothing I need better than Mapsource and those things it does do take longer anyway. When launched it was not even a half baked product, I would think most programmers in any other company would be told to find another profession if they produced stuff like that.

I admit it has got better but after all this time it dam well should have. So far we have not come across a Garmin device that wont accept routes I have made in Mapsource, certainly the 350's appear to have no problems. As there has been talk of the latest devices failing to work in this way I am in the process of importing each of our 60 plus day routes into Basecamp, recalculating them and,once I am sure there are no routing errors, I am saving them in a separate file. I look forward to seeing some of you with the latest devices this summer so we can see what happens.

I keep Basecamp updated on 3 PCs and a laptop so I do play with it often. So far it does nothing but frustrate me but I live in hope that sometime before I am too old to ride they will sort it out.

John

Basecamp routing ...

OK guys'n gals ... trying to get to grips with Basecamp :eek:

Doing a route from A to B, now learning, having clicked on the start, and the finish, to drag the route to where I want it to go :thumby:

In this particular instance, I'm left with trying to get rid of the loop up to the next motorway junction, and back again, and exit at Junction 4 M90

Basecamp-L.png

Is it about something I should have done earlier in dragging the route ... or can I get rid of that northward loop to the next intersection and back again :rob

Advice appreciated ... Ta

:beerjug:

Micky, you have probably dropped the waypoint on the wrong carriageway - easily done.
Zoom in and if necessary move it again.
paul

Micky, you have probably dropped the waypoint on the wrong carriageway - easily done.
Zoom in and if necessary move it again.
paul

Mmmmmm yeah, aware and tried that Ta. Tried picking the route up at various points ... and dropping it at various points to no avail :nenau

OK guys'n gals ... trying to get to grips with Basecamp :eek:

Advice appreciated ... Ta

Spooky...I have for the last hour, been trying myself to get to grips with basecamp by looking at Tutorials here, there and youtube and thern popped in here for a rest.. Fook me it's hard innit

Why the fook is it soooo different to Mapsource...for a pleb like me I really want to scream....and I aint even got as far as your "advanced" little problem Micky.

Spooky...I have for the last hour, been trying myself to get to grips with basecamp by looking at Tutorials here, there and youtube and thern popped in here for a rest.. Fook me it's hard innit

Why the fook is it soooo different to Mapsource...for a pleb like me I really want to scream....and I aint even got as far as your "advanced" little problem Micky.

Ha ha .... does that make me feel any better TT?

NOOOOOOOOO :D

If I'm correct & your turning left onto the B914, click on the route on the sliproad before the turn & drag it to a point on your route after the left turn. This looks like a rubber band.

Look closely at your route, with it selected, North of the junction you've shown. Are there any black dots (routing nodes) in the route, if so select the eraser tool and remove them.

That junction works as you would expect on my PC version of Basecamp (2014.4 mapping). North on M90, down slip-road and left onto B914.

If you double click the route, or the route listing in the left-hand pane, it will open the route properties dialogue. Check the 'center map' check-box and you'll be able to step though all the routing nodes and way-points in a route in close detail to check that they are correct; i.e. on the correct side of the Armco, not up a side street etc. Doing this without the check-box ticked does the same but maintains the current zoom level. Either technique might show you a routing node that's off your intended route that you might have otherwise missed.

I use the close-up version (check-box ticked) to give my routes a final sanity check.

Cheers guys ... something to play with today. Don't go away :thumb

Micky,

I suspect that the theory of you dropping a via point / shaping node on the opposite carriageway has caused the loop.

It's also possible that you have placed a via point / shaping node on the correct carriageway but slightly above what the software sees as the exit, sufficient for the software to take you past the junction, up the correct carriageway, off at the next junction, back down the other carriageway and then off the motorway to continue your journey.

Both are quite common, innocent mistakes but frustrating when the reason is not immediately obvious. This frustration is most evident when (unlike you) bods do not check their route before setting off. They then scream and shout that the device has been incredibly stupid, when in fact it has done nothing more than carry the rider exactly where the fellow had asked the device to take them.

The advice to take a bit of care and run a re-check is a good one. To which I would add: When pulling an A to B route around to go A to G, via B, C, D, E and F place the viapoints / shaping nodes well past the junction, so you can be reasonably certain it should drag the route correctly. Placing a point on a junction runs the risk of placing the point just one metre past the exit, with inevitable consequences.

One disadvantage of the rubber banding method over the traditional point by point by point method, is that it's easier to miss mistakes. Using the point by point method was useful in that it showed instantly where a mistake was being made. It would display a route that suddenly shot past the point or along some minor road, just to cut a corner. The error could be sorted out then and there. You can of course still use the traditional point by point by point method in BaseCamp, if you want to.

PS If you can work out how to attach your problem route to this thread, it will help bods to have a look at it in full, to see if they can spot the error and / or see if it really is a software glitch.

If you double click the route, or the route listing in the left-hand pane, it will open the route properties dialogue. Check the 'center map' check-box and you'll be able to step though all the routing nodes and way-points in a route in close detail to check that they are correct; i.e. on the correct side of the Armco, not up a side street etc. Doing this without the check-box ticked does the same but maintains the current zoom level. Either technique might show you a routing node that's off your intended route that you might have otherwise missed.

I use the close-up version (check-box ticked) to give my routes a final sanity check.

As a sanity check, this works perfectly for the nodes and waypoints you have added. Always do it this way myself.

However, the routing which Garmin does by itself has one major flaw when set to 'Fastest Route' - if there is a shorter road than the obvious main road, it will take you down some side street, housing estate or back road because it does NOT differentiate between different classes of road. When you are travelling through unfamiliar territory, it is easy to be taken in by these badly chosen route choices.

Short of zooming in through every town en-route, I have yet to find a quick and easy way of checking this. Anyone else had this problem and found a better way to check?

paul

However, the routing which Garmin does by itself has one major flaw when set to 'Fastest Route' - if there is a shorter road than the obvious main road, it will take you down some side street, housing estate or back road because it does NOT differentiate between different classes of road.

Granted that it can occasionally shortcut down a less suitable Road but I disagree that it doesn't differentiate between different classes of road. That's why you'll see a difference between shortest and quickest route if you try both and recalculate.

There maybe some roads that aren't classified correctly though.

I use Google StreetView, where it's available, on bits of a route that I'm unsure about.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Granted that it can occasionally shortcut down a less suitable Road but I disagree that it doesn't differentiate between different classes of road. That's why you'll see a difference between shortest and quickest route if you try both and recalculate.

There maybe some roads that aren't classified correctly though.

I use Google StreetView, where it's available, on bits of a route that I'm unsure about.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yes, StreetView is excellent - even to the point of looking at signposts when in doubt as to which route to take. Takes extra time though which should not be necessary!
Google Maps routing is much better too.

Micky, don't look for the eraser tool which has been mentioned here if you use A Mac which I think you do. It doesn't have one.

Bumpkin is spot on.

The device can and does differentiate between the speed limit on roads (when it knows them) and sometimes between the type of road, missing out 'unmade' or 'seasonal closure' roads and even U-turns, if it has been instructed to do so.

Will it sometimes make 'mistakes', routing bods left right left through a town, when the most logical route is to go up to the roundabout and turn left. It missed out the roundabout route, prefering the left right left, as both routes could be conducted on 30 mile an hour roads, the left, right, left being simply 200 yards shorter (and maybe even more direct, in strict terms) than going up to the roundabout and turning left, so to
the dumb device it satisfied both the quickest and most direct criteria.

That the left right left took you through an industrial estate, or busy shopping street, with umpteen pedestrian lights all on red is not its fault. It does not know, east Helsinki any better than you do. But it got you there, from your front door, via Rome and Leipzig, all down great twisty roads, mate. So, don't be so tough on it, it's probably cleverer than you.... Most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom