Alps weather in Sep ?

Storm99

Reaction score
Im planning a biking trip to the Alps with the missus, but the only time she can get off work is end of Sep.

Anyone know what the weather in the Alps is like around then ? Are all the passes open etc much rain or sun etc ?

Thanks !!!
:aidan

Im planning a biking trip to the Alps with the missus, but the only time she can get off work is end of Sep.

Anyone know what the weather in the Alps is like around then ? Are all the passes open etc much rain or sun etc ?

Thanks !!!
:aidan

It can be so different, did alps that time 2011 and it was bone dry for 4 weeks.
Cold at night but 20+degrees in the day

Brilliant, except when it's not.

Look at the forecast nearer the time, for ultimate accuracy as to where in the several thousand square miles of Alpine splendour you may happen to find yourself in late September 2014.

When you are there? Look out of the window. Still unsure? Venture a hand out, palm upturned, feeling for the telltale pitter-patter of tiny raindrops.

Or This! Grimsel and Andermat last September - Barely ten yards visibility at the top .....

Rule one in the alps if its raining in the valleys its snowing at the top. September is supposed to be the month with the least rain

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Never had an issue in Sept - but as said wait until nearer the time & modify accordingly

Never had an issue in Sept - but as said wait until nearer the time & modify accordingly

As has been pointed out you can get bad weather at any time. We have lived here since 2008 and my experience is that the end of September is more often than not good. Whenever you come there is a chance that the high roads will be closed for bad weather, my experience here in Carinthia is that this is actually less likely in September than July or August. Last year I had my last ride on the Grossglockner at the end of October. It was around 22 c in the valleys and not cold at the top.

John

Thanks Guys !

Looks like it's as good a time to go as any !

thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated !

:beer:

I always go in September, generally the weather starts to break, so there may be a few thunderstorms to dodge but they are awesome to see and it's great fun avoiding them by heading for patches of blue sky. Seriously look out for large hailstones though, the damage I saw to over 100 cars on a small pass near Brunnig was unbelievable!

As as many others say, it can be 30c in the valley and then you get 2ft of snow on the high passes two days later, yes it has happened to me! Generally the snow is cleared away and melts pretty quickly off the roads and invariably ok to ride the next day.

I love September, the police are not really in evidence, as most of the crotch rocket boys have been and gone by then.

I always go in September, generally the weather starts to break, so there may be a few thunderstorms to dodge but they are awesome to see and it's great fun avoiding them by heading for patches of blue sky. Seriously look out for large hailstones though, the damage I saw to over 100 cars on a small pass near Brunnig was unbelievable!

As as many others say, it can be 30c in the valley and then you get 2ft of snow on the high passes two days later, yes it has happened to me! Generally the snow is cleared away and melts pretty quickly off the roads and invariably ok to ride the next day.

I love September, the police are not really in evidence, as most of the crotch rocket boys have been and gone by then.

Thunderstorms are a summer thing, we don't get so many in September. July and August are the thunderstorm months. As for hot in the valley and cold on top that effect is actually more pronounced in high summer than in September.

John

Thunderstorms are a summer thing, we don't get so many in September. July and August are the thunderstorm months. As for hot in the valley and cold on top that effect is actually more pronounced in high summer than in September.

John

I can't comment on Austria John but the climate in Switzerland is rather different and in my experience, the weather has typically been good in August.... Too hot sometimes, especially when the weather patterns are coming up from Italy but once they start mixing with cooler air from the north or west then BOOM !!! I have found storms to be very prevalent last week of August until mid-September. There is a good reason why the Swiss Lightning Research Centre is based in the Swiss Ticino region on a mountain above Lugano..... September is the month to go there if you like a good Storm.... Same goes for most of the Southern Alps and. Balkans http://www.swide.com/food-travel/best-places-to-see-spectacular-thunderstorms-in-europe-italy/2013/09/10

I can't comment on Austria John but the climate in Switzerland is rather different and in my experience, the weather has typically been good in August.... Too hot sometimes, especially when the weather patterns are coming up from Italy but once they start mixing with cooler air from the north or west then BOOM !!! I have found storms to be very prevalent last week of August until mid-September. There is a good reason why the Swiss Lightning Research Centre is based in the Swiss Ticino region on a mountain above Lugano..... September is the month to go there if you like a good Storm.... Same goes for most of the Southern Alps and. Balkans http://www.swide.com/food-travel/best-places-to-see-spectacular-thunderstorms-in-europe-italy/2013/09/10

We are in the southern Alps here. Storms happen in July/August but we are talking about short sharp events. Typically early evening, they last for 30 mins and then they go. Because of this pattern they hardly ever give our guests a problem as most are back for a well earned beer before the storms come in. We tend to get them when we have had several hot days and they often welcome by then! Storms are much less common here in September.

John

My preferred time to do the French alps is the last week of September: usually still warm but not too hot; a fraction of the August holiday traffic; nine times out of ten it's dry (and when it's not, generally it's afternoon storms rather than week-long soakings). But as everyone has said, there are no guarantees... anything is possible with weather in the mountains!

Back
Top Bottom