Brig to Embrun - via Italy?

Hamslay

Reaction score
Having never been to the Alps, I'm looking for the best route out of Brig in Switzerland heading to Embrun in France - avoiding motorways.

It seems I have two options, the twisties into Italy : http://goo.gl/EsvD0p or the straight road to Martigny, and through Albertville: http://goo.gl/6hmI4R

The road from Brig to Martigny looks a bit dull compared to some roads in the area, but it looks OK from Martigny onwards.

Any votes for either option?

depending when you are going and if passes are open, an alternative would be, brigg, martigny, grand st bernard, aosta, morgex, la thuile, petit st bernard, val disere, lanslebourg, modane, valoire, briancon, cold llzoard, guillestre, and then either Vars and cut back to embrun, or guillestre to embrun. there are other alternatives aswell, as this is your holiday its your choice.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Basically I'm sleeping in Brig one night, Embrun the next, and have one day's riding to get between the two. Having not ridden the Alps I don't really know what's a realistic distance and number of passes in a day.

The two St. Bernard passes look cool, as the does the Col du Galibier and the Col d'Izoard.

I just need to string enough together to give me about a 200 mile route I guess.

I've stuck your route into Google Maps in two parts because for some reason it couldn't join two places.

http://goo.gl/9wva9U
http://goo.gl/moNtrv

300 miles and all those passes looks a tough day for a solo Alps "virgin" :)

I think I'll need to trim it a bit. Any "must do" routes I should definitely keep?

Forgot to mention, this would be late July.

That is quite a distance in the Alps so I wouldn't do any unnecessary distance, how about this:

Brig
Martigny
Col Col de la Forclaz
Chamonix/Mont Blanc Tunnel
Col Du Petit St Bernard
Val d'Isere - Col de l'Iseran
Lanslebourg
Then south over Col du Mont-Cenis
Susa
Briancon via Oulx and Col du Mont Genevre
At Briancon you would then have the choice of Col d'Izoard to Guillestre and Embrun (very nice but quite a detour late in the day)

Or the fairly fast direct road south to Embrun

This is still a long ride but some great passes included.

Galibier is great too as a longer alternative to Mont-Cenis.

as you can see from the routes posted above there is no quick way when you start to use the mountain roads and passes, my route is about 50 miles longer than Mike s route but takes about 2 to 3 hours more, Mike s short route is about 240 miles and will take in the region of 7 hrs, its 230 miles from my house to the channel tunnel and i can do that in 3.75 to 4 hours depending on traffic. Mike s route would seem the more sensible option for you. witch ever way you choose to go enjoy it, all the best lee.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

How's this for a plan? :D

I can change my accommodation from Embrun to Le Monêtier-les-Bains, a new miles north west of Briancon. That knocks some distance off.

I could then do this route (in two parts cos of the google error)

http://goo.gl/Wlzn09
http://goo.gl/DDK4dJ

Google predicts 125 mi, 3 hours 44 mins for the first part and 114 mi, 3 hours 47 mins for the second.

If those times are realistic, that would take me door to door in about 8 hours riding time taking in:

Col du Grand Saint Bernard, Col du Petit Saint Bernard, Val-d'Isère and Col du Galibier.

Next day I'd hit the Col d'Izoard before getting back on track heading west via Embrun in the direction of Millau.

Sounds like a cracking route, but am I biting off more than I can chew???

Only you will know if its to much,what miles are you used to doing and how long are you prepared to ride to get to the destination, you have not mentioned any of this,or even what bike, could be a gas guzzler with a 90 mile tank range more fuel stops to take in, all this info could help. with reference to google i would imagine at the moment the st bernard is closed thats why you get a google error, the route looks good though, all the best lee.

Thanks Lee.

I'm used to doing 200-250 mile days on average around the Scottish Highlands and islands for example. I'm in Ireland in May doing 2000 miles over 8 days so I'll be well used to doing 250 miles average days by July.

I'm on a '14 GS LC so should be fairly comfy and up for the miles. :)

I think my last route posted, based on input from you guys, looks great. I think I'll shuffle accommodation based around that route. When I get back from Ireland in a month I'll have a better idea of how a 2000-mile week on the GS suits me.

Thanks again!

now we have a better idea of what you are used to doing and what you are traveling on, and taking this into account i dont think weather permitting you will have any worries, its difficult to imagine what other people can or cant do, or even how they wish to get somewhere, some people like to stop and take pics or press flowers for 30 minutes at every opportunity, others like to ride and ride only stopping for fuel and a leak, at the end of the day its each to their own, its your time and enjoy it to the full. all the best lee.

The run fro Briancon to Embrun by the direct route is still quite pleasnt so don't rule it out.
The key to any longish day is an early start. On the road before 8am, 8hrs has you done at 1600.
Gives you time for stops and photos and your in the bar having a cold one at 1800.

I average about 40km per hour when in the mountains.
with a few photo stops / coffee stops.

what time of year are you planning this ????

mike

Hi Mike

The trip will be in late July.

What's happening is my folks are on holiday in the Midi-Pyrénées for a week from Saturday July 26th. Rather than fly down with them, I'm leaving the UK on Monday morning Eurotunnel. My plan was to through the Vosges mountains, the Black Forest, the Alps, Millau and then arrive in the Midi-Pyrénées on Saturday afternoon.

So it's a bit of a trek when I could have ridden straight down in 2 days, but I fancied fitting in a few of the places I'd read about, even if I'm only in each place for a day or so.

The run fro Briancon to Embrun by the direct route is still quite pleasnt so don't rule it out.
The key to any longish day is an early start. On the road before 8am, 8hrs has you done at 1600.
Gives you time for stops and photos and your in the bar having a cold one at 1800.

Thanks Paul. There doesn't look to be a bad road for a hundred miles. I think I'll put my scenic routes in the satnav with the 8-10 hour ride planned. If it's all going a bit pear-shaped on any day I always have the option of just cancelling the route and putting my hotel as the destination via the fastest route. It's only the main day through the Alps from Brig that looks a bit tough. I'm just trying to cram in as many of the well-known passes as I can. :)

Back
Top Bottom