Front wheel quesiton

Green Boy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
(2004 1150gsa evo abs)

I've just replaced the front wheel following a refurb by Devon Wheel Company (great service btw) and took the opportunity to replace the discs and pads. As a observation I've noticed that that nearside front disc is normal slightly warm to the touch following a ride whilst the offside one is usually cold. This suggests to me that there is a slight bit of binding on the nearside caliper but am not sure if this is normal due to new pads bedding in etc or whether the caliper pistons needs a good clean. Incidentally when I changed the pads, I went at them with some brake cleaner and a toothbrush to get the road cack off them as the bike is used all year. When pushing them back into the caliper to fit the new pads they were a bit stiff but then again the bike has done 45k so they've seen a bit of life. Also if I give it a good shove with my foot I can get the front wheel to rotate about twice before it stops.

What do the general collective think - pads just bedding in, caliper/pistons need a better clean, pistons and seals need replacing?

Ta
:thumb2

(2004 1150gsa evo abs)

I've just replaced the front wheel following a refurb by Devon Wheel Company (great service btw) and took the opportunity to replace the discs and pads. As a observation I've noticed that that nearside front disc is normal slightly warm to the touch following a ride whilst the offside one is usually cold. This suggests to me that there is a slight bit of binding on the nearside caliper but am not sure if this is normal due to new pads bedding in etc or whether the caliper pistons needs a good clean. Incidentally when I changed the pads, I went at them with some brake cleaner and a toothbrush to get the road cack off them as the bike is used all year. When pushing them back into the caliper to fit the new pads they were a bit stiff but then again the bike has done 45k so they've seen a bit of life. Also if I give it a good shove with my foot I can get the front wheel to rotate about twice before it stops.

What do the general collective think - pads just bedding in, caliper/pistons need a better clean, pistons and seals need replacing?

Ta
:thumb2

Depends on how much you have used the brakes but if it were mine I would be more worried about the cold side.

John

For all the time it will take detach each calliper and check that each of the pistons moves when the lever is operated and that you can push them back in with only finger pressure. I use a made to measure block of wood to hold two pistons in place and a wood work clamp to hold the third whilst I check the operation of the fourth, dealing with each piston in turn.

Sounds like the warm side one is sticking slightly, could be cos when you put new pads in there was bit of corrosion/muck on what was previously exposed part of piston which is now further into the calliper. Try the method Packer suggested and note if there's evidence of anything like that. If so you might need to strip callipers and replace seals/pistons. I've had this happen on my Transalp and had to replace the calliper pistons and seals, but maybe BMW used better quality stainless ones?

For all the time it will take detach each calliper and check that each of the pistons moves when the lever is operated and that you can push them back in with only finger pressure. I use a made to measure block of wood to hold two pistons in place and a wood work clamp to hold the third whilst I check the operation of the fourth, dealing with each piston in turn.

I use a similar method to strip and clean my brake calipers. Done at the first sign of any sticking and the seals can usually be saved for re-use. That can be penny pinching but at £60 a side for a R1200GS front it's well worth the effort.
My caliper piston clamp is two strips of 25mm x 3mm steel with suitable length M8 bolts at each end.

Sent from a widget that can't spell.

Back
Top Bottom