Old Yamaha XJ550

fatnfast

Reaction score
After a 10 hour round trip to collect a bike to relive my youth on I brought home this nice old XJ550. Why is it that despite direct questions 'fellow' bikers can be somewhat economical with the truth about the bikes they are selling? 'Its mint mate, you wont be disappointed, I promise you, just a little pitting on the forks' Anyway, after paying over the odds and having replaced a bent lower stem, fork leg and starter motor that had internal gear bushes replaced with thick grease, I finally had a run out on her today.
Can't believe its 33 years old, fuels beutifully, pretty quick to the ton and handles really well, so at least one of its seven previous owners had looked after her. Left a big grin on my face :)
Its not going to be a full on restoration, just a general tidy up, cure a cam cover leak and sort out his 'professionally sprayed' hand painted with a brush engine covers.
You just don't see these XJ's anymore, its rival at the time being the more common GPz550, but period road tests had these as the better bike.

Pal of mine had the 650 which he loved. Shaft drive and very smooth. He's looking for one now actually.

Back
Top Bottom