France trip.... suggestions

mikeh501

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to France in April. I have put together a route, but I'm not sure if the places I'm thinking of booking hotels at are all that much cop and whether I would do better by staying a different town/city rather than the one chosen.

map.gif

1. Off the early Calias Ferry and down to Cabourg near Caen. Next day go aross the coast and have a look at Pegasus Bridge, and the D-Day landing stuf. Same day rip down to Tours.

2. Stay in Tours sightseeing.

3. Travel down to Cognac

4. Stay in Cognac sightseeing, goto local Cognac distillery :)

5. Head over to Clermont Ferrand as stopover

6. Goto Le Puy en Velay, as a round about way of reaching Lyon

7. Stay in Lyon sightseeing

8. Goto Troyes as stopover

9. Head for Calais on midday ferry and home.

ISTR that Clermont Ferrand is a fairly horrid modern industrial / commercial town and that the HQ of Michelin is located there. I'd find a Logis de France out in the country somewhere rather than stay in town.

The surrounding countryside...the Auvergne.... is quite pleasant though and you'd probably want to ride up Puy de Dome.

I remember that you used to be able to drive round the old Grand Prix circuit at nearby Royat which was public road, however the last time I did this was '91 and I don't know its current status.

Le Puy en Velay is a nice town and a centre of pilgrimage. Again the surrounding countryside is pleasant. It's quite high up, on the edge of the Massif Central and is therefore cooler than the South Coast. The last time I was there in April, we had snow in the hills.

HTH

Yes, Clermont Ferrand a dump, although countryside pretty. Id go a bit below Limoges if pos and checkout Periquex region (unsure about town) and Sarlat which are just below your route.
Beune is lovely, Dijon somewhat larger and I thought less so.
I might consider passing by Lyons in favour of spending some time in more picturesque smaller towns. On the way down I would be tempted to go via Arles, Sarlat and maybe stay there or Chinon rather than tours.

I guess tho Lyons and Tours are good bases if you have some time to sightsee from them.

I always forund the Campanile hotel chain ok (although this is going back a few years) but in April hotles should be easy to find in all the smaller towns.

Mike,

Your proposed trip involves lots of motorway miles with stopovers in places that may not be the most interesting in France. Maybe you could consider spending your time in a particular region, there are lots of possibilities, I think that may give you a better holiday.

Yes, Sarlat is a beautiful medieval city with narrow cobbled streets and street entertainers not to be missed.

And don't forget the old grand prix circuit at Reims situated on the right of the city. They have been digging up part of the old track but the impressive if tatty grandstands still remain - for the moments. Stand in the pits and imagine Hawthorn, Fangio and Collins roaring towards you down the long grandstand straight.

France

Hi Mike
Seems like a good route to me, maybe a bit too much on the main roads but good never the less. My recommendation will be for the Hotel Bristol in Le Puy, email:guy.mallet2@wanadoo.fr
tel: 0033 4 71 09 13 38, they speak English. good rooms, resto, right in town and a huge garage to keep the bike safe. Best to book but it should not be too busy April.
Le Puy is an interesting place to visit as well.
Hope that helps.
cheers, Barrie

Right, I'd miss out Tours and do La Fleche (stay in Saumur) and then Poitiers. From Poitiers take the D950. The route to Limoges looks fine but why not carry on the N141 until St Leonard then use the D13 and go west towards Riom and Clermont? Chatelguyon is nearby and is a reasonable stopover. As most people have said try to avoid Clermont unless you like big industrial cities (some people do:D ). Le Puy is an interesting town and worth a stopover. If you must head north then you don't have a lot of choice except to take the motorway but get off at Dijon and take the N road to Troyes (which again makes an excellent stopover).

I've done all of the roads I suggested and the only bit which may be a problem is the Limoges - Clermont road as it is more than a little twisty and could take some time. Then again don't worry too much about schedules (unless you've prebooked - which you shouldn't need in April) and be prepared to be flexible:D

Above all enjoy yourself and don't try too hard.

Cheers

Dick

Guitarman is bang on with the Limoges to Clermant Ferrand section. Go straight across through St Leonard de Noblat, Bourganeuf and Aubusson, you will ride across the volcanic region before dropping down dramatically into Clermant
I would avoid the ACCOR/Campanile type place and go out and buy Special Places to Stay by Alistair Sawday (Website www.specialplacestostay.co.uk) You don't say whether you are solo or not but anywhere in the above guide will be good, we stayed in a 17th centruy chateau for £30 for 2 b and b.
Go rural and avoid the autoroutes. The LOT valley is superb but a bit further south than Limoges/Clermant

guitarman said:
.................................... why not carry on the N141 until St Leonard then use the D13 and go west towards Riom and Clermont? ..................................................

That should of course read "go EAST" :D Sorry chaps.

Cheers

Dick

My two cents worth, don't stop in hotels. Look out for signs for "Chambres d'hotes". Cheaper and you'll meet people.
If your lucky some of them do an evening meal called "tables d'hotes" really good value for money and you end up chatting till the early hours drinking wine which is norlmaly included in the price...

Hi

1. Off the early Calias Ferry and down to Cabourg near Caen. Next day go aross the coast and have a look at Pegasus Bridge, and the D-Day landing stuf. Same day rip down to Tours.

2. Stay in Tours sightseeing.

Skip Tours and stay in Samuur or Angers - I like them both!

3. Travel down to Cognac

4. Stay in Cognac sightseeing, goto local Cognac distillery :)

can't see ANYTHING wrong with this plan!

5. Head over to Clermont Ferrand as stopover

Don't like C-F - too big, and from my night there no charm what so ever. I do like Limoges though. Had some really good nights out there, where "stuff" just seemed to happen. Could be 'cos it's a college town ;)

6. Goto Le Puy en Velay, as a round about way of reaching Lyon

Le Puy is great. Nice little town with enough going on. Including a Harley meet we ended up with and got invited out for a ride with them - very pleasent.

7. Stay in Lyon sightseeing

Humm very big, and I try and avoid, but can't really comment since I've never actually stayed there.

8. Goto Troyes as stopover

If you're just "stopping over" on your last night try Epernay (sp?) capital of the Chamoange region with all the Champange houses which are very impressive, then ride around the area and find a little "Papa and Nicole" vine yadr and buy a coupel of bottle of fizz for 11 euros - honest.

9. Head for Calais on midday ferry and home.

Mark

I would go southwest from Le Puy to Mende, and then follow the Tarn Gorge to Millau, then do the new bridge from south to north.

Attachments

• tarn gorge houses 040913.jpg
    tarn gorge houses 040913.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 246
Just north of Saint Junien you will find the village of Oradour sur Glane, a village that was razed to the ground by the Germans in1944 and is now a French National Monument. It's well worth the visit.

Back
Top Bottom