R1150GSA crash bars broken

columbus

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Stripped the bike for a service today and found both upper crash bars have broken mounts. The left hand top mount tab is broken and the right hand tube mount is broken.

Bike hasn't been dropped so the only thing I can think of is that the mounts are getting stressed somehow

Has anyone encountered this before and more importantly anyone know what causes it.

Very common. They're also really bad crashbars - replace them with Hepco & Beckers for some decent head protection...

Crash bars breaking without having had impact? This strikes me as absurd at best. Take them back, quote the sale of goods act. Swear a lot.

Crash bars breaking without having had impact? This strikes me as absurd at best. Take them back, quote the sale of goods act. Swear a lot.

Take then back by all means but swearing at the dealer who didn't make them in the first place is rude and self defeating. I appreciate that the swear a lot remark might have been written in jest, or at least I hope so. Sadly it is all to common for such things to happen though. If you have a justified complaint then stating your case clearly should be enough. By swearing at someone you will at the very least create ill feeling in someone who could help you. Verbal abuse is still abuse and I would expect anyone confronted with a customer swearing a lot to simple refuse the deal with them until they can behave in a civil manner.

John

Chris you really should investigate before you offer that advice

its a big twin and they vibrate

If a mount bolt isn't tight enough or something is too tight because it is misaligned perhaps from a light fall

The bars are under constant strain and the metal is not flexible So you get stress fractures and cracks at welds

Easy fixed with a tack of weld though

Take then back by all means but swearing at the dealer who didn't make them in the first place is rude and self defeating. I appreciate that the swear a lot remark might have been written in jest, or at least I hope so. Sadly it is all to common for such things to happen though. If you have a justified complaint then stating your case clearly should be enough. By swearing at someone you will at the very least create ill feeling in someone who could help you. Verbal abuse is still abuse and I would expect anyone confronted with a customer swearing a lot to simple refuse the deal with them until they can behave in a civil manner.

John

Thank you Nanny... :thumb2

John

Fair enough. :)

I repaired the cracks in mine and made inserts to weld in the open end of the pipe next to the mount. They've been fine for 8000 miles so far and that includes a few topples lol

Back
Top Bottom