Yes, I know they all do it

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm pleased to say I'm back on the road with a new to me 05 GSA 1150. I love it. I am though looking to cover any details now before i head off into Europe for the summer. I'm getting used to the new noises, of which there are actually very few. The motor is very smooth and quiet (btw, you were all right about the twin sparks being smoother). I'm getting used to the long legs of the ADV gearbox which is superb on the open road. But here's my query. Once the motor is hot, up to 5 bars, there's kind of subtle knock at low - ish revs (below 2k), especially when slowing down around town. There's nothing under load even giving it a handful. My guess it's more to do with the gearing not liking low revs on the overrun? I did though wounder if the 'noise' could just be rocker end float? There's absolutely nothing else about the motor to suggest there's a problem. Can't ever feel it through the pegs or bars. All gears change in BMWs inimitable way. It's just a noise I'm not used to!

I know they all do this Sir, but thoughts welcome. Do others do this? :)

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Hi,
My 2003 1150GS does the same. No noise whilst riding but when slowing down on the overrun I have put the noise down to my right-hand throttle body. I have owned this bike from new and for as long as I can remember it has made this noise whilst slowing down.
Regards Paul

Thanks Paul. Because the rest of the motor and drive chain all works so we'll I'm just going to ignore it and enjoy riding! But i was interested if any of the old hands here had an explanation?

stop worrying about it just ride the bike and also make sure you check the oil level !! where you going in Europe then ?

That's what I'll be doing. Riding it. This is only my second one so haven't had the luxury of knowing what can be ignored!

Heading down to Italy via Germany/Switzerland. I'm guessing it'll only be 3-4k miles by the end of it but trying to cover any obvious maintenance now of course. The bike is in good condition (bought from a member off here, has been looked after). But you know what is like with a new machine, I'm in a hurry to get to know it and any foibles!

Every foreign holiday I've ever been on ... on 3 gs's, Ive heard 'the deep knocking noise of imminent disaster' at some point , and the disaster has never happened.

im doing that sort of trip next year on my own going for 3x weeks which bike shall I use my 1150gsa se or my r1150rt choices chioces:smokeboun

Make sure you take a spare alternator belt, even if you put a new one on!!!

Other than that, chill, life's good :cool:

Thanks for the alternator belt tip. It's so small and lightweight it would be daft not to take one.

Before my other GS was stolen i bought a replacement belt (somebody on here kindly posted an eBay link to some Continental belts going for 6 quid!). It was a 4PK611. Presumably it will fit the adventure? I remember Steptoe mentioning something about them being a little longer and consequently meaning the alternator sits a little higher (there was an advantage i think but i can't remember)?

Anyone know?

Sheene. If you take the SE, take a big lock. Unfortunately Italy doesn't have a good reputation on that front!

Back
Top Bottom