Open Street Maps - using them?

Beemerman59

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As a newish cycling nut I've recently bought a Garmin Edge 800 GPS which has the capability to do routing. As I've previously given all my dosh to Garmin for lifetime maps on a Zumo 550 and 660 I was reluctant to do the same again and have managed to get a cycle orientated map image of the UK from Open Street Maps (OSM). To work on the Edge this is simply a case of putting the image file onto an SD card and inserting into the unit.

When I connect the Edge up to my PC, Basecamp automatically recognises the OSM image file as an option and allows me to programme a route and transfer that across to the Edge. All good so far. However, I would like to embed this image file somewhere on my pc so I don't need to connect up the Edge each time. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so which folder on the PC do I put it? Ideally I would also like to get Mapsource to work with the OSM file as I'm not a convert to Basecamp yet, but I cannot figure out that one at all and it won't recognise the image file when I connect up the Edge either. Anyone know how to do this?

When you downloaded the .img file from OSM there will have been other files on offer. One of these is a Windows installer, this will install the mapping on your PC in a manner that can be read by both Mapsource and Basecamp. You do need both unless using just Basecamp and are willing to connect the GPS, or the SD card, each time you want to use it (i.e. a right PITA).

I suggest that you return to OSM and download the installer for the same mapping tiles as you already have on the Edge.

When you downloaded the .img file from OSM there will have been other files on offer. One of these is a Windows installer, this will install the mapping on your PC in a manner that can be read by both Mapsource and Basecamp. You do need both unless using just Basecamp and are willing to connect the GPS, or the SD card, each time you want to use it (i.e. a right PITA).

I suggest that you return to OSM and download the installer for the same mapping tiles as you already have on the Edge.

OK thanks - will do that.

All done - OSM maps now installed in Mapsource, Basecamp and on the Edge. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom